OT: Any of you broly's in the Army/Navy/etc?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by knucks, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knucks

knucks Active Member

Just looking into my options.
    I will have a BA in a year, seeing where I can go from there if not a job/career elsewhere..

2. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Don't do it. Say bye bye to all your muscle

3. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I've been subconsciously considering this option for years... I believe in civil service but I also don't want to lose 4 years of my life (or my life entirely). I feel like I could potentially achieve more in the social service field (majoring in sociology) if I go to grad school next year and find some good career options doing research or hands-on work with people in need.

4. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

During boot camp your muscle is going to go shit. If you go to overseas everyone gets on gear.

5. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Air Force.

6. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

have you checked into Police/Fire/EMS ?

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

8. Sylva

Sylva New Member

lol @ you guys. He's asking about career's for his life and you're saying don't do it b/c some of his gym gains will be gone. :bowrofl:

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

:mamoru:

10. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

you get some good benefits, officers make a decent amount of money, enlisted pay sucks until around E-6, until then you'll be living with roommates.

it can be good or bad, it really depends on your outlook. air force is going to the more laid back, 9-5 type of job, the only downside is that you rank up more slowly than the other branches.

11. knucks

knucks Active Member

If anything, I am looking into being an officer.

At the same time, i don't know how I feel about having to answer to someone post-graduation. granted, if the economy sucks and it's hard to find jobs, etc etc etc then that's something a person can live with..

12. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

you're going to be answering to someone for quite sometime, even with a degree. it's really not a bad career. You're not going to get rich from it, but you will live a good living and see places you've never seen before. The military lifestyle definitely isn't something for everyone. What'd you major in?

13. knucks

knucks Active Member

psychology and environmental resources.
    i'd go into clinical psych, but that's with a doctoral degree so not really what i'm looking for right now...

14. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

I'd go talk to the recruiters and see what they can offer you. It's a good way to get your foot in the door of a professional career and looks very good on a resume, plus they might be able to help you with the education on becoming a psychologist, they are always looking for medical help and sometimes offer some kick ass bonuses.

15. Reign

Reign Banned

I'm in the Navy and unless you joing the Air Force, yeah, don't do it. The amount of bullshit you have to put up with, even as an officer, is fucking ridiculous. I'm enlisted, around the middle of the ranking system, and it's impossible to get anyone of a lower rank to do fucking anything. It seriously boggles my mind how any of these ships stay afloat the way the military is these days.

A good part of it is all the bullshit you have to go through just to do something. For example, I assigned 3 junior people in my division to paint a passage way and the process to prepare for this went something like this.

I had to fill out paper work and turn it into the fire marshal to get approval to paint this space (You have to fill it out 48 hours in advance for them to inspect it). Then you get that back on the day you're gonna do the painting. THEN you have to get it inspected by the saftey office to make sure you don't need ventilation. If the space is bigger than a bathroom, which everything is, you have to run ventilation systems which are a huge pain in the ass. So then we run the ram fan (which is powered by the fire main and a bitch and a half to set-up and take a part) for the space. THEN we had to fill out the Hazardous Material Request to get the paint to paint the space. THEN you have to walk down 10 decks to get a 5 gallon bucket of heavy ass paint that you have to carry 1/5th of a mile (the ship is 1050 some odd feet long) to your space. Then we finally get to paint the space.

The process to get all that done.... probably 5-6 hours (not including waiting for the inspections). How long did it take them to paint the fucking space? 30 minutes.

I dunno man... yes every job has it's ups and downs. It just seems like the Navy, to me, has a lot more downs than any desk job I've ever had. Yes... dental and medical are included. It sucks. Yes, you'll get more leave/time off than any other job I've ever had. However you have to do what your told, when your told. The freedom I had as a civilian I very much long for. Plus I miss my home state/ the 3 state area around it. The only way I'd even consider re-enlisting right now is if the Economy continues to go down the shitter and there's nothing out there in 3 years. However, I'd be cross-rating to something else (Explosive Ordanance Disposal). I thought about putting in an officer package but my Divo did that and unintentionally talked me out of it. He told me how he never gets to see his family anymore compaired to when he was enlisted and yeah... fuck that.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  16. knucks

knucks Active Member

Sounds like basic bureaucracy to me :rofl:

17. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

yes.

18. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I might be homeless in the next few months. Any idea what I could expect with my background (MS in chemistry)? I know the pay would be shit compared to industry, but there are alot of unemployed people in this industry right now.

19. mothafknCHARLIEnshit

mothafknCHARLIEnshit omghi2u

you either enlist, or you are commissioned as an officer (excluding NCO's). if you have a degree, you would be crazy not to be an officer.

20. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Marine Corps, commissioning May 2010. :wavey:

I personally feel that anyone into fitness would be most suited with the Marines. They put shit ton of emphasis on PT, especially for officers.

21. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

why the lost of gains? can't you do gym after work or on weekends?

22. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

Whichever branch you decide go special operations.

23. evan2

evan2 Guest

WOW...this thread is full of fail

There are tons of very in shape and very body builder type folks in the military. All branches are about PT and you get time to go and sometimes you have mandatory PT so it is not like you are going to slack off. The out of shape people are the ones who do not push themselves.

you want to be an officer and you also want to join the Air Force, trust me on that one.

No matter what you do in this lifetime you still have to answer to someone.

24. knucks

knucks Active Member

I started looking into the Air Force, maybe i should speak with a recruiter, but I don't know that I see anything of interest there.

25. evan2

evan2 Guest

What interest do you have? Ive been in the AF for 10 years and have seen my far share of all other branches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.