OSx86 leaked...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Slashdot is covering a rumor about a leaked copy of the developer ed. of OSx. If this is true, and there are no (or little) issues getting it to install on an Intel setup (with a chipset within the past 5 years), how do you think this will fair for Apple?

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

I call bs. Why would apple be stupid enough to make it "easily transferrable" to an x86 computer?

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Will OS X be hacked eventually? Sure. But not anytime soon. Yes, Apple is going to put intel chips inside their machines, but they will still use openfirmware, and not a pc bios, and still allow the os to only run on their proprietary machines.

4. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I think I read that the dev machines that are running the x86 version of OS X are indeed using normal PC bios

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OMG I JUST HAD A ***VISION***

The XBox demos that we THOUGHT were on G5's were really APPLE towers running INTEL processors :noes: :noes: :noes:

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

they are currently using bios, no sign of openfirmware and they allegedly claim to not intend to cripple it to work on only one machine...go figure :dunno:

7. Kix

Kix Jailbait tested, Milf approved

Nice, i would actually pay for it if it was released.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I think now we know why this announcement was made a year in advance... it's fucking brilliant. Release a developer machine running Tiger for P4 with all Intel hardware at a low price and no hardware-proprietary measures. Companies etc. will buy the dev machines, and hackers will port the OS to generic x86 hardware. Sure the OS will probably expire soon or not be upgradeable, but it's kind of a "free trial" of OS X for anyone with a PC and the know-how to grab a torrent.

Get them hooked, and watch them buy an Apple machine in a year :bowdown:

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I said that the day after the dev boxes were announced :rolleyes:

and it makes little sense because it's easier for MS to write direct3d for hardware they will eventually have to support (and then fake it with G5s) than to use dev boxes. Besides, those dev machines are just running PC BIOS anyway; why wouldn't they use a beige box?

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Didn't Apple almost bankrupt themselves the last time they let their OS run on something they didn't make? Unless they charge $500/copy with unbreakable copy protection, why would they let their OS run on any Intel box? Personally I'd love to run (or at least try) OSX without being limited to the few overpriced hardware choices Apple offers, but I don't see that happening.

12. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i wouldnt consider a 500$ mac mini or a 1000$ ibook overpriced. thanks for trying though.

13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've been pricing them. At those price points, its pretty weak. Its like the $399 Dell or the $28k BMW they advertise: You need to add some stuff. I've been pricing the minis and by the time I get 512MB, Superdrive, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme, its like $750. And still no monitor, mouse, or keyboard but that's not super important me me since it would run off my existing KVM switch. And of course, the machine isn't exactly upgrade friendly. I've been pricing the iMacs too and their not cheap either but at least they're easier to upgrade.

14. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

people who are looking to buy a computer for that price aren't really power users in the first place. thats the idea behind that target market. they are supposed to be weak, because no graphic designer is going to buy a mini to work on, they are going to buy a top of the line G5.