OSx86 - does anyone have any experience?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VenomousSVT, May 24, 2007.

1. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

I am currently diving into new regions and attempting to load up OSx86 and give it a try. Has anyone else touched base with this?

~~disclaimer: this is solely for educational purposes only. I am using this to allow my knowledge of technology to grow to other levels. No hamsters were harmed in the making of this topic~~

oh and FTR... I am debating on buying a mac as a multimedia center for my 42" lcd... I am only installing this as a trial to see how and if everything is going to work the way I want it to. If all goes well I am glady going to restore this machine back to vista for regular BS and buy me a badass multimedia device.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Video drivers that support core animation etc are the biggest problem with osx86. You will need these if you want frontrow etc to work properly for your media centre.

I have helped a couple friends out with it, seems to work ok but is quite hardware dependant.

3. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

thanks for the response.. i have installed 2 different versions of it so far and I keep having the same bootloader problem. When it starts the boot loader all I get is 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99...ect

I have customized my hacks and all for it to try and suit my needs for my hardware but I am so unlucky with this apparently. Any suggestions?

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

what cpu / motherboard?

5. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

got a p4 3.0ghz
    gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 pro-g

6. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

ok weird news but new news... if I leave my install dvd in the dvd drive and boot with the cd as priority it will boot... I let the dvd load then when it asks to hit enter to install I just let the timer count down and it begins to boot into osx..weird... but I can boot into it now! I am of course having some video issues...will work on the drivers. But I am trying to find the drivers for the on board network card. It would be alot sweeter if it would connect to the internet.... still working on it

7. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

I agree... I would like to try it out though before I swap over to it. I have used linux for quite some time but I always fall back on microsoft because I cant ever master installing a program in linux.

Is there a build of linux that is more suited for a media center?

8. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

I used suse for a while but still installing apps in terminal owns me for some reason. I switched from suse to Xandros and I liked Xandros the best so far as far as ease of installation. Xandros had something bundled with it to install apps for you which was nice.

The big thing is I know no one with linux to be able to sit down and ask questions to about installing things. I didnt learn msdos by myself either. Anything else in linux I havent had a problem with. It is having to manually do things in terminal that I dont have any guidance to.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

sounds like the boot loader didnt install correctly, check your config files and reinstall it to the partition / mbr

10. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

its really weird.. i was able to put in the disk and not hit anything when it asked to hit enter in install and I got it to boot but it was sporatic... i have some video issues and no network drivers either. I did a reinstall using some custom settings in the install and was unable to get it to boot using the cd like before... then just before shutting everything down at work I tried it and it worked but when I got the gray apple screen I got a circle with a lind through it.

11. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

As someone stated earlier it's extremely hardware dependant. I've been running OS X on a P4 for close to a year now with no major issues. Mind you, i use it at work, and not for multimedia.

I'm running the following:
    Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF
    3GB Kingston Value Ram (2x1GB DDR667 and 2x512MB DDR667)
    Pentium D 820 LGA775 2.8GHZ
    2x250GB Seagate SATAII Hdds
    LG GSA-H22N DVD-RW (IDE)
    On-Board Video, Sound and NIC
    Running OS X 10.4.6

The onboard video is good enough to drive my 17" LCD at 1280x1024 with Quartz Extreme enabled, onboard sound is 2 channel out only (requires a couple of kext modifications) and the onboard NIC worked out of the box.

This is the most stable setup I've ever had at work. I used to run windows boxes and found myself formatting them almost monthly. I am a tech at a computer store so our network sees all manner of virus/spyware infected machines and having to spend a day every month reloading my service machine was a pain. I tried Vista when it came out on Beta, was so thouorghly disgusted with it that I tried OS X and have never looked back since. In almost a year, I've only wiped this thing once and that was to try to upgrade to 10.4.8 with a different mobo/cpu. I had difficulty with it, so I just went back to this setup.