osx loading time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, May 24, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

what would affect osx's loading time? ive noticed that the loading time of my iMac at work is much faster than my iMac at home. the difference between these two machine would be my home iMac is full of music and videos and such, whereas the work machine is filled with just programming stuff. how can i make my home iMac load faster after a restart?

thanks

Update:

my work and home iMacs are more or less the same in hardware, except the one at work is a 17 inch and home is 20 inch.
    they both have Intel Core 2 Duo.

clutter? well i always try to keep everything organize. i dont have a bunch of shit on my home Desktop. in fact, my work iMac is so fuckin cluttered, just because i dont care cause it's the company's machine and not mine. at home, i keep documents in Documents, i have a separate Downloads folder for downloads, all my music is in Music, and pictures are in Pictures.

speaking of which, i have another problem that i encounter with my home iMac. sometimes when i hit SLEEP, it'll go to sleep for about 1 second before it turns on again. i literally take my hands off the keyboard and mouse so i dont touch anything, so i have no idea what could be turning the iMac on again. it's very annoying.

and no, i have no external hard drive in use. altho the home iMac does have a second monitor plugged into it.

at the end of the day, i always put both computers to sleep.

ok thanks guys!

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

What kind of processor(s) do you have at work compared to what you have at home?

3. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

:werd: try to keep files/folders/programs/etc. off your desktop

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

repair permissions, empty trash... everything helps a little

5. Mach D

Mach D New Member

is your computer at work on all the time? i was also under the impression osx runs better and faster when its on all the time.

6. skolen

skolen Guest

External drives slow my boot time. It has to read & initilize them before booting.

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

:werd:

I usually just unplug my external drive from my mbp before turning it back on.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

really? they slow you down that much?

I thought it would only take a couple seconds to check if it is a start up disk or not :dunno:

9. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

repairing permissions and such advice is a bunch of crap and has nothing to do with the speed of anything. likewise, an organized desktop/folder structure has absolutely no effect on your bootup time.

boot time can however be effected by a handful of other things:
    * network connection and any services you have running (since this is when they are initialized)
    * quality and quantity of hardware (e.g. RAM diagnostics take place at startup)
    * recent software updates (e.g. security patches and major OS updates often have one slow boot following their installation)
    * improper shutdowns (since filesystem sanity checks and the like will take place during startup)

10. skolen

skolen Guest

When I shut my USB ext. drive off it shaves about 3 seconds off the boot time.

Also, make sure your computer is SET to boot off the startup drive. I've run diagnostics and whatnot off CD/drives and when I restart it checks for other sources to boot from before choosing the "Macintosh HD" option. In the PrefPane just reselect your startup drive and that might help a tad.

11. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

update on my iMac specs at the very first post guys

THANKS!!

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

anyone? updated specs up at the top

13. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

neone...?

14. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter