osx + java?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Braddlac, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

isnt java a cross platform language, so theoretically everything written in java should work on a mac? or am i just horribly wrong?

2. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i code and run java on my mac

3. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

does the java have to be specifically written for mac, or will all java apps work?

4. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

If the programming notes i got in my course are right, it should work on any java platform. That's one of the huge advantages to it.

5. Rick

Rick New Member

All Java apps should work. That is one major benefit to Java.

6. rpark

rpark New Member

However, there are somethings u can do in Apple's java that will not run on the PC.

7. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

apple's java?

java is java. no matter if its written on windows, *nix, or osx. that is the beauty of java. the only thing that is OS independent regarding java is the virtual machine, you need the one that is for your OS. but once you have that, java will work on your machine. that is the core purpose/benefit of java. to write your code once, and not have to worry about cross platform compatibility.

8. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

various libraries and add-ons/extensions to java can introduce incompatibilities. however, this is the exception and not the rule, so 99% of the time, yes, it's pretty much completely cross-platform.

when somebody says "apple's java," my guess is that they're referring to java using the cocoa frameworks (which are mac only).

9. rpark

rpark New Member

ding ding ding!!!! :wavey:

10. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

thats awsome, i guess i'll have to brush up on my java. i doubt my knowledge of it is good enough to do anything though, i took AP Java last year

11. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

as an aside, since we're discussing cross-platform stuff, i was trying to find a cross-platform development tool recently to make a simple utility for changing config files. it had to be able to read a remote file via http and read and write to local text files on the client's machine (where the app lives). i found a really slick tool called runtime revolution. i'd never heard of it three weeks ago, but was able to hack it well enough using their provided samples to build my little app and it's now running on both OS X and Windows machines at my office. My first GUI app, my first Mac app, AND my first cross-platform app. :)

BTW, Revolution will let you build self-executable apps for Mac Classic, OS X, Winsows and several different flavors of *NIX.

The only change I had to make in the code between the two platforms was the file paths in the calls to read and write to the local files.

12. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Java is universal. It doesn't matter what OS the code was written/compiled on, it will work with any Java VM.

By the way, Java integration in OS X is amazing.