OSX install is huge...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rumble, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

I just got a new Macbook Pro with 2gigs of ram and I love it :bowdown:
    No heat or whine problems if you're wondering. Anyways my macbook pro has an 80 gig hard drive, and it seams 20 gigs are already full from the factory. Is there anyway to uninstall some extra parts of OSX I don't need? I could even reinstall the OS since I really have no personal files on this computer yet. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

getting rid of any iLife packages that you don't use will cut down. Also language packages take up alot of space, at least a full gig. Dump any demo/trial software. I've gotten OSX down to around 1gb.

3. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

How do I do all this? I'm new to mac's, but prtty good with PC's. I realize I can find for example, garage band in the apps folder, and then drag it into the trash, but how do I know if there are more files asociated with it that I don't need anymore?

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

look into Appzapper. it'll find everything that has to do with the program you want to uninstall and delete it as well.
    you can delete garageband, imovie and idvd to free up alot of space (probably 10 gigs right there). also the language pack and printer drivers can be deleted as well to free up probably another 2-3 gigs.

5. MAD PUNK inDC

just drag and drop, you'll find small dependant files in the library>application directory. If you don't start up the program for the first time, it won't generate extra dependant files, so you can just drag it to the trash. You can also choose to do a fresh install and just not install all the demo software and such. Finaly another way of doing things (application server for example) is to strip OSX of all it's extra applications, fonts, printer drivers, language packages, iTunes, QT, ect. You then only use whatever services you absolutely need and make a disk image of it. This way you can image any machine with this stripped down version.

6. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

while we're on the subject, riddle me this:

My macbook came preinstalled with iLife '06 and Frontrow. I know i have iLife '06 on some of those recovery cd's, but what about Frontrow? I want to do a clean install of Tiger, but I don't want to lose Frontrow. :hsd:

7. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I did a clean install on my new MacBook yesterday because I upgraded the HDD. Front Row was installed on the clean install.

8. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

:coold: thanks

9. RG

RG New Member

ull save tons getting rid of all language and printer files. Just install the printer files u need (HP in my case) and no language translations

10. robwormald

robwormald New Member

if you just got it, best policy is to do a fresh install

boot from recovery CD 1, choose erase and install in the install type, and then customize the installation on the next page - you can remove language packs, jingles, extra useless apps, etc

11. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

Thats what I did and I got the installation down to 3.5 gigs :coold:
    Thanks everyone!

By the way, if I ever need those different printer drivers, can I install them without reinstalling everything?

12. MAD PUNK inDC

yep. Simply use the OSX instal CD1 and open it up on the desktop. You will find a selection for various packages, including various printer drivers, should you ever need to install any, and you can install printer drivers by brand. You can also usualy download the drivers specfic to your printer from the manufactueres website in most cases.