OS's from book to book

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itwasntme, Jun 13, 2007.

1. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I am gonna try and help my buddy get his indigo clamshell Ibook running better, he can run 500+ MB of ram according to one site, but another says 320..... and he is changing his 10g factory HD to a 40 gig.

I was wondering if I needed to purchase a certain OS disk to install OSX on his clamshell or if I could use the disk that came with my 17" powerbook (1g version)

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

the disks are specific to each mac version. i found that out the hard way. the best thing to do, is to get a retail version of os x

just make sure that you don't get a dvd version, and he only has a cdrom or something like that

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook_se_466.html

that should answer your question. these guys are very reliable. also, no the disks won't work. your disks are for your type of machine specifically.

4. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I figured they were specific, thanks :)

5. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

wait, so does that mean if I buy a new MBP at the end of the year, I can't upgrade my Powerbook with it?

damn you apple. :o

6. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

IS there any reason why I cannot use a USB Ethernet wireless modem on that clamshell rather than an airport card?

The clamshell should be here tomorrow and I can start working on this thing for him, but since he isn't going to use this forever I was hoping to make the wireless USB modems work on the OS9 system.

Then he can use it with other laptops and not just that clamshell.

This one works with OSX http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...7/602-2680349-2519017?ie=UTF8&asin=B000FHFPHG

as does this one: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...3/602-2680349-2519017?ie=UTF8&asin=B0002HA7FY

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Forget the other question, I can use those two USB's on anything running OSX.

Now, my question is.... can I use firewire and clone my drive to the Ibook and make it this OSX version work? (17"pb to indigo clamshell)