OSIR or Seibon CF Hood?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Noah, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

I'm trying to decide between a Double Sided OSIR CF Hood and a Seibon CF Hood. Does anyone have an experience with either?

Thanks!

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fuck 'em. They're expensive, they don't save a hell of a lot of weight compared to the weight of the car, and they splinter in a crash.

3. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

^^^ So much useless and irrelevant information. :rolleyes: :ugh:

Never heard of OSIR, so I can't comment on them. Seibon's are OK though. For what car?

4. deusexaethera

Information about carbon fiber hoods making roughly zero difference in a car's performance, handling, and appearance is neither useless nor irrelevant.

5. Chris87

You're a fucking ignorant retard.

A CF or lightweight hood CAN and DOES make a difference in the performance, handling, and appearance of a car - some more-so than others. I'm all for hating on ricers that want a CF hood for the looks of it, but they can make a very noticeable difference in handling. You're piping up about shit that you obviously have zero experience in, other than threads on the internet and personal opinion. End of story, now STFU.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

A hood alone will do next to nothing for your weight reduction. If you wanna get serious, you're gonna need a CF hood, trunk, door skins, fenders. Then get some lexan windows. Then ditch your back seat. Then ditch your A/C, power steering. Remove your front passenger seat. Remove every bit of sound deadener. And get a CF framed racing seat for you.

But if you're going for looks, then get the one that looks good to YOU, and not what someone 3000 miles away typing on a message board says to get.

And don't forget the hood pins. Latches don't like CF hoods too much. Too light.

7. deusexaethera

Chris87, if you didn't work for a company that sells shiny ricer crap (wtf "lightweight race windows"! :rofl:) to kids who have too much money to spend and not enough sense to decide what's a good purchase, I'd totally believe what you just said. As it stands, I'm going to go with what I know about carbon fiber and what I know about the weight of a hood compared to the weight of a car. As for looks...well, there's no accounting for taste, but if I had a carbon hood, I'd get it painted to keep from attracting cops.

Nothing personal, but when you're arguing in favor of products you sell, your credibility goes right out the window.

8. Chris87

20lbs isn't shit off the total weight of a car - agreed, but 20lbs off the front of a car can be felt. Not only in weight reduction, but also in weight redistribution. Why in the fuck do you think people relocate their batteries to their trunks or by lightweight versions? Because they store their jumper cables in there and want to be more efficient?

and once again deusexaethera....
    [​IMG]

Do you have any concept of serious racing? Alot of people don't have the means or the skill to cut their own plexi/lexan windows. You're going to try and turn your nose up on anyone whose trying to supply serious race enthusiasts with lightweight products? :ugh: When are you gonna start hating on Bride, Momo, Sparco, Recaro, etc because they sell lightweight seats??? :dunno: :ugh:

I don't know about other shops, but don't fucking make generalizations about me or where I work because you don't have a fucking SNIFF about how we run this shop. I can fucking gaurantee you that for every 16 year old ricer idiot whose expressed interest in those Flexite windows for their mom's 95 stock civic we didn't sell the windows to them because there was a million ways that they could better spend their money.

And I'm not trying to sell Noah shit. You think i'm going to try and sell him a gigantic hood 1/2 way across the continent? Fuck no. I'm sure there's a ton of local shops he can find a CF hood at. I'm merely trying to inform people of the facts because there is FAR too many fucking no-experience internet/magazine racers like yourself who don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about.

So, fuck you.

9. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I would love to hear you explain to a F1 crew member for example that 20 lbs don't matter :rofl: If the hood is the only thing changed over than yes it's pretty ricey and ghey. If the hood is part of a larger overall serious weight reduction than by all means it's functional.

10. Chris87

We're not talking F1 cars here, we're talking street or streeable race cars. You don't need to take it to the F1 extreme end of the spectrum to feel the difference of a CF hood. Apparently no one on this forum realizes that. :hsughc:

11. tpliquid

tpliquid Oh hi, My GF has been upgraded ^ OT Supporter

what happend when he gets into a accident? the cf hood wont absorb any impact

12. Chris87

It'll most likely shatter.

Do you think a regular metal hood is going to absorb any significant amount of energy, compared to say a bumper, subframe, or K-support? :hsugh:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  13. deusexaethera

The safety issue is not so much whether the hood (metal or carbon) will absorb any impact, but whether it will stay in one piece. Metal bends; carbon shatters. The last thing you want is for the carbon hood to break free from its hinges and sneak up under the lower windshield seal.

The reason hoods have those hooks on their undersides is to act as a failsafe in case the hinges break, so the hood won't get shoved through the windshield. If a carbon hood happen to include those hooks, it won't matter anyway because the carbon will just snap off in a severe impact, which of course is when you'll need it. Racecar drivers don't care about that sort of thing because their cars have all sorts of reinforcements that street cars don't have.

14. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I was just using F1 as an example to make a point :hsugh: weight is extremely important.