WEB osCommerce, ZenCart, Agora, or Cube Cart

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

I'm going to be working with one of the above on a project here (it's the 4 I have available for free through my host).

Preferences? So far I installed ZenCart and osCommerce to play with. Liking osCommerce better right now simply because the database isn't quite as extensive but I'm already finding a few flaws in it (so far are easy fixes with functions I already have written).

But before I play/modify too much, recommendations from OT web crew? I'm not looking for some crazy insane functionality out of it and I don't know that any of them are going to be real difficult to modify for my needs.

2. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

zen cart is oscommerce. it's oscommerce with all the bells and whistles people usually add to it.

3. jdw

jdw New Member

that would explain the nearly identical admin interfaces then...

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Could you be more elaborate on what add ons you speak of?

5. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

Just check the zen cart site.

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

may want to check out magento too. It think it's still in beta though. I hear it's supposed to be much better than anything else available...written on the zend php framework with mysql db

7. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

how easy are these things to implement?
    id like to add a shop to a retailers page i just made, but right now its just informational.

8. jdw

jdw New Member

Setting it up is next to no work. Modifying it means being comfortable with PHP and MySQL. I'm not a big fan of the way osCommerce is built as it's not as easy to modify, but it's the way it has to be to accept updates/modifications from outside sources.

My big fear right now with setting it up (aside from finding a decent way to handle credit cards) is if I heavily modify it - additions from osCommerce may or may not work. I think I'm going to have to work on moving away from my way of programming and use their structure more than I was hoping to.