OSC - Ender Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Terin_Altari, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

In the last few days I have re-read both Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead, and couldn't help but wonder about a few things as I read. First off, I'll start by stating how relativity works, or at least how I understand it works after reading the books. OSC says that during interstellar travel the ships accelerate up to relativistic speeds, and therefore, what seems like only a short time to the passangers, is actually quite a long stretch of time. So a person travelling say 22 light years, may only think a week has passed, though to the rest of the universe 22 years has gone by. In the books Ender travelled from planet to planet for around 3000 years, while he only aged around 30 years. This is completely understandable, and not what I questioned. OSC had stated that Ender was quite possibly the oldest living person in the universe at his 3000+ years. But what about the crews of the startships that transported goods. After all, Ender himself bought a startship filled with goods that where ment to be shipped off to other planets. In the book it said that the crews contracts were void and they would be provided other transport home. So these people, people that make a living shipping/transporting goods, wouldn't they also skip generations at a time each time the had to travel from star system to star system. Or is it that one person makes more than one or two of these trips, and Ender and his sister Valentine are the exception. I would guess that OSC didn't really think about it in all that much depth as it didn't have a huge roll in the story line, other than Ender and Valentine living all that time. I just wondered how the rest of the universe coped with the generation leaps caused by travelling at relative speeds. It seems to me that if there was a great deal of transport going on between star systems, then there would be a great many people that where very old. Anybody else have any opinions on this matter?

2. Juke

Juke What am I supposed to put here?

All I know is that I have read Enders game and I loved it :bigthumb:

3. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

Oh, no doubt. It is my all time favorite Sci-fi series, and I mean no offense to OSC or the novels. I simply couldnt help thinking about this as I read through the novel, and wondered if anyone else had noticed this or cared about it for that matter. Perhaps I'm reading too far into things, but I tend to be rather analytical. I love the world that OSC has created, and think that OSC is an amazing writer. As I said though, I was just interested in hearing if other people had thought about or noticed this. So do you think I should just forget all about it, and enjoy the book for what it is? I suppose that would be for the best. No use reading too much in to things, or I may end up ruining my favorite sci-fi series for myself.

4. Juke

Juke What am I supposed to put here?

oh no, I am not saying that. If being analytical is fun for you, go ahead and do it. I am not trying to bring you down :bigthumb:

edit:
    reread it and yes, they would also skip generations

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I haven't read it in a long time, but from what I remember, Ender did a whole lot of travelling. Not always on the same ship or with the same crew. And I'd guess that the ship crews made one or two journeys, then quit - like the original colonists that he left earth with :dunno: Who wants to spend their entire lives cooped up in cargo ships?

6. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

But if you think about it, in order for the trade of a specific good to be a profitable industry and be worth while to ship it, then you would constantly have to have crewed ships to transport your goods. Now you could probably say that you could just have colonists, who already planned on travelling to tbe given destination, could be the crew, though it doesnt seem plausible that there would be enough people that already wanted to pick up and move to another planet. I mean, given the facts that you would skip ahead several decades and everyone you know would have aged all those years and might even be dead, you most likely wont know anyone on the new planet, and all the other problems you would be faced with after you got there, would you want to be on that ship? I don't think there would be a large number of people willing to do this. There might, however, be a greater number of people who would be willing to make a career out of working for a transport company. These might be people who had lost the people the loved, or didnt care, or maybe they just needed the money, but for whatever reason, they have signed a contract and jump from star system to star system, never staying longer than needed. Then maybe after they feel they are tired of it, or have made enough money, the settle on a decent planet and make a life of it there.

I guess thats one way it could work, or any other way. I havent read all the books yet, and dont know for sure if OSC extrapolaits on the events and workings of the universe outside of Ender's world. Little discriptive hints, can build a wonderfully vivid image in your mind, and create a world so fascinating that you almost feel as if you are there. As if you too could get on a ship and fly to the stars. To see all the hundred worlds in all their glory. OSC is a masterful story teller, and I can't wait to read more of his works. Surely the wrold he has woven thus far in my mind shall grow ever more detailed and vivid and oh so wonderful, an excape from reality to world where anyone can belong.

Eh.. But I shall stop my ranting and babbling now, and wait to see if anyone has any comments. One day I hope to write as well as OSC. If I ever see that day, it will be a glorious day indeed.