A&P OS X users: Anyone know if CS4 will have issues with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SonicYan, Aug 29, 2009.

1. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Currently on CS3 with 10.5.8, Adobe just stated they wouldn't support CS3 anymore with SL, not sure if CS4 is running smoothly right now with SL. Oh well, I'll prolly stick with this setup for awhile. :o

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I'm sure if there is an issue it would have surfaced awhile ago with all the developers out there. Either way, it's not on the incompatible list on Apple's site. I should know tomorrow, btw.

3. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Cool I'll be on the lookout then. I've read somewhere there have been hiccups, but hopefully not anything serious. Its not like I maximize the whole CS suite anyway. :mamoru:

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

cs4 will run fine with snow leopard, but it still won't run in 64bit mode. Gotat wait for cs5 for that on the mac.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

fuck i want cs5.

just upgraded my mac pro to snow leopard :bigok:

my macbooks been on it for about 2 weeks now.

6. haikii

haikii New Member

serious? i can't stand CS4 already drives me nuts cause of all the little nitty things that has changed in all the programs and it just slows me down!. and i cant even work flash anymore as good as its become i cant make it work!

7. isaac86hatch

Took me awhile, but I have really grown into Flash CS4. I also love all the new features in Ps, Ai, and Id.

8. haikii

haikii New Member

No doubt Flash CS4 is great, i was shown bones/skeletons and the 3d capablities. they are really cool it'll help a bunch when animating thats for sure. I guess i just havn't adjusted yet haha

9. isaac86hatch

So far, so good. Easy install and everything is just like it was before I inserted the disk. All CS4 programs working fine. With the new math that SL uses I gained 20gb of disk space. :dunno:

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'm running cs3 on SL and its working fine...No reason to upgrade to CS4 if you dont have to. Wait till CS5 and get a real upgrade.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

the guys at apple told me there were some bugs, but overall it'd be ok. I have to wait as my optical drive went bad and cant load the disk :squint:

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

You're kidding, right? cs4 is a fucking HUGE upgrade.

13. isaac86hatch

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Really? Well, maybe I havent looked into it enough. There isnt a single pro that I work with on a regular basis that made the upgrade. With us all working in Lightroom or Aperture for 90% of the editing, PS has become more of a specialized program only opened on occasion and CS3 does everything I need it to do without a problem. Only thing better in my mind is speed and that will come with true 64bit functioning.

Seriously, I know several pros that double as graphic artists and none of them made the CS4 upgrade for PS, Illustrator or anything.

What are some of the huge improvements you speak of?

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Well, if you're using lightroom 2, then you're already using part of the awesomeness of CS4. Lightroom 2 uses the CS4 rendering and developing engines that were created in CS4. So think of the changes from lightroom 1 to 2, and that's kind of how CS3 to CS4 goes...

One of the main things that rocks in cs4 is the integration with lightroom. You can take 5 raw files in lightroom, merge them in photoshop, then bring them back to lightroom and edit the pano in lightroom, AS A RAW FILE! Even with single files, you can bring them into LR2 as a smart object, edit them, then go back to LR and work on the image there, using the edits you did in PS... So any of the stuff you can't do in LR, now you're only a couple clicks away, then you're back in LR with the corrected file... Lens corrections, pano's, file merges, etc all come to mind...

I'm sure there's more, but here's a couple of the things I use literally - every single day:

masks panel - the amount of things you can do with masks now is absolutely insane. You can now do the following: use a built in pen tool on an active mask. Select a mask by color range, then tweak it by selecting/unselecting different colors/ranges. actively change the mask density seperate from the layer density. Turn an active mask into a vector mask.

Compositing images - My insect series couldn't have been done is CS3. It took 4 clicks per image in cs4. You can now align layers and create pano's based on focus points, you can align and merge handheld pano's, 360 degree pano's... and they redid the way the merging deals with vignettes, shading and varied dof... it's nuts.

printing - real, honest 16-bit printing. Fucking :bowdown:. Oh, and in the print preview, it now shows you out of gamut colors based on your printer, and shows you what they would be compressed too. No more surprises when you print highly saturated images. You have NO idea how much canvas this has saved me.

Oh, and it's full 64 bit in windows.... I'm running Windows 7 on my Mac Pro, with 16gb of RAM, and PS can use every ounce of it. It flies.

It's funny that you say that you don't know any pro's that have made the jump. I'm guessing you work mainly with photojournalists... I don't know an editing house that HASN'T made the jump. Even without the new technology, just the improvement in the interface would save you DAYS of editing. It's so nice...

Anyway, that's my salespitch.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Interesting, and basically nothing that I use, so I guess that is why I dont really care about the upgrade. :big grin:

I use Aperture, so none of the Lightroom integration means a thing. I rarely do any serious editing like you mention either, wouldnt even know where to begin using a mask. All that shit you said about masks...means nothing to me. LOL I never composite images either.

You're right, I'm more of a PJ type photographer so I basically do minor editing that can be done in the darkroom kinda stuff, levels, colors, sharpening, thats about it.

Dont do any printing on my own anymore, not with companies like White House Custom Color to do it for me, so that doesnt matter. (I dont even own a color printer any longer)

Though I do know several graphic designers that have not made the jump either, so not sure about that and that led me to believe there wasnt much difference either.

And since its been said it wont be till CS5 that it runs in 64 bit, not missing anything there.

Oh well, I'll wait till CS5 and upgrade the suite then just to keep things current and upgradable down the road. Doesnt look like I'll miss CS4 though.

17. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Everything I've tried in Master works fine for me - extensively in AE and PS, cursory pass through the other apps.

Wish they were 64 bit though. And wish AE wouldn't waste 11ty jiggabytes spawning extra threads....and all that. But they all work at least as well as in Leo.

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

yeah, I figured that was going to be the case!

But aperture? Really? Hmm. I mean I know it's supposed to be a decent program, I could just never get used to the GUI... Oh well.

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, I actually like the gui a 100 times better than lightroom. I find it simple and easy to use, everything at my fingertips and seems much less cluttered than Lightroom when you use full screen mode and just have the adjustments hud up on screen.

If you only used the first version of Aperture, the gui is much improved in version 2 imo.

I've tried Lightroom a couple times and just do not like it...at least now that I'm used to Aperture anyway.

20. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Posts like this make me realize that I don't know a goddamn thing about Photoshop.

21. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

22. isaac86hatch

Yeah, looks a like a few people griping about Ps Crashing. Although I am sure some of the problems are legit cs4/OS X problems my guess is that most are due to third party apps such as font managers or hacks that people are forgetting to mention.

23. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I haven't been pushing CS4 yet on my laptop with snowL but it seemed to run fine for basic editing so far.

24. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

fucking :werd: hence I'll prolly just stick with my setup for now. At least I know now that someone's on SL with CS3 with no probs. I actually bought a legal copy a year ago so I'm hesitant on buying another upgrade so soon. :o