OS X can read NTFS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Mar 11, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

just wanna make sure. i have an external hard drive full of music and videos and stuff, and i wanna use it on an iMac. i can do that right? i think i read somewhere OS X cant write to NTFS, but can read. so that means i should be able to use my external HD just fine right?

also, just while we're on the subject of OS X, when installing Windows using Bootcamp or any other app, will there be formatting of the whole hard drive involved? i know partitions will need to be made, but do i have to reformat the whole drive THEN partition it? or can I do it like Partition Magic does it?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah Macs will read, but not write to NTFS volumes.

3. Yes macs can read and copy files from an NTFS drive.

And you should be able to use a partition program to create another partition (if you have space. i wouldnt try resizing partitions) and to install from there.

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

but if i want to install windows, then i have to create a partition either way rite? cause that partition would have to be formatted in NTFS or FAT32 in order for windows to work.

5. Yes but if your current partition is taking up the entire harddrive, there would be no room for another partition so you would have to resize your current one. if you do that, i would first backup important files on your mac first, just in case.

also if you are going to create a partition to install windows on, I would create an NTFS partition. FAT32 cannot handle files that are 2gb or more. so if you are going to create a partition to run windows, midas well go ntfs.

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

OK thanks for the info.

BTW, Leopard is supposed to come out this spring rite? so how do updates with Mac work? if i buy an iMac now, can i get an update to Leopard for free? or how does it work? like Windows updates are free, but does Leopard count as an update or is it a whole new OS? should i wait to buy an iMac? should i just torrent it... or what?

7. i think leopard is a new OS. they are marketing it a lot so i'm guessing you have to pay for it. i'm a mac guy too but i use it at work/school, soon i'll be using it at home so i'm not sure how the updates work with macs.

8. Apothis

Apothis New Member

10.5 is a whole new OS, not even remotely equivilent to Windows Update. There are patches/updates for the sytem that are equivilent to Windows Update, including things like service packs (10.4.8 currently, in the future 10.5.x).

9. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

hmm... so should I wait for it to come out then buy an iMac? if i have Tiger, can I just download the features of Leopard? like can i download Spaces by itself?

10. Clarity

Clarity New Member

I'm guessing you will have to pay for that. If I were you, I'd wait, unless I needed the Mac for something.

11. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

hmmm.. i actually do kinda need one for the near future. do you know how long is the wait gonna be? and based on past history, how long until they ship the iMacs with Leopard?

thanks!

edit: woa just read this http://www.mactactic.com/
    about to be discontinued?? ive never even heard of rumors of any replacements. glad i havent bought it yet.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007