OS X and PC networking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rich_goalie, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Rich_goalie

Rich_goalie New Member

Guys, I'm trying to network an iBook and a PC for my brother. I have the option of Windows 2000(currently installed) or XP if necessary. They're connected to a Linksys Router/Hub and are both using DHCP. Both can access the web, but neither can see the other. What can I do to share files and a printer(connected to the PC) between them. Windows file sharing is turned on on the Mac.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. If possible, please copy answers to [email protected]
    Thanks in advance.

2. Scorpius

Scorpius Guest

What kind of files do you need to transffer? You could set up an FTP server on one and FTP in to the other.

3. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

This would be the easiest, but just so you know......

Windows 2000 server has services for macintosh, if you were running that, you could do it directly.

Also, I believe Jaguar has the ability to do it directly through some services for windows. Don't hold me to this one (I'm a windows guy), but when I had to setup this up for a client a while back, I remember reading something along these lines. I ended up going the FTP route, FYI. :) It was easy, fast, and I needed external access to it anyways :)

4. Scorpius

Scorpius Guest

Thats true. :big grin: But I was assuming he has Windows 2000 Pro. Assuming he didn't shell out $400 for the Server edition. Let me look the OSX question up a sec.
    I'll get back to you.

5. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

I know :)
    My post was more directed at him :o Sorry for the confusion :p

6. Scorpius

Scorpius Guest

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

If it is OSX 10.2+ will connect just by turning on file sharing on the PC. OSX 10.2- needs the appleshare protocal turned on in the networking properties. All the info how to do this in under the help menu in W2K.

8. moose

moose Guest

IBthemovetoappropriateforum

Anywho, OS 10.2+: hit command (open apple) + K to connect to server. As long as you have set the PC's preferences properly you should be able to see the PC. If not, check the permissions on the PC.

If you are running Win2k server then you have the option of connecting via Appleshare. In which case you will see an afs:// option with the name of the PC in the connect window of the Mac.

Another option is to use the Share directory under your user name on the Mac. Set it up using the Preferences window. Then just use the IP address the hub has assigned to the Mac and use that to get files. That's just a one way transfer though...

Also, check to see if you can connect the printer to the hub itself. If you have that option, sharing the printer will be a lot easier. Be sure it is aprinter that has the appropriate drivers for OS X too... there are still some outstanding.

I have a Mac and a PC networked too, so email me if you have any questions or issues: [email protected] If worse comes to worse I have a little "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" application that will smooth everything over for you...

9. Rich_goalie

Rich_goalie New Member

Well, you're correct, it is win2000Pro, not server. And the weird part is that the iBook will see the PC, but the PC won't see the iBook. Odd. Windows File sharing is turned on, but for some reason won't stay turned on, the box unchecks itself. Very weird. I'll see what progress has been made tomorrow. Thanks for the replies so far. BTW, what is the appropriate forum? I figured on-topic was better than off, b/c off would have all sorts of wisecracks rather than responses.

10. moose

moose Guest

There is a Technology > Computers and Programming forum

11. Rich_goalie

Rich_goalie New Member

Whoops. Didn't see that. Sorry.

12. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

moved to computers

13. Dommi

Dommi Guest

ok I just browsed this thread. actually I went to mozillas edit menu, then clicked find files or folders and typed in samba. no matching results... tsk tsk tsk

you need to use samba. built in to jaguar. that will enable windows type networking so you can browse windows network shares.