OS X 10.3 As 'Server'

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funk T, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to turn my Mac into a 'Server'. OS X 10.3. It is going to be used as a remote storage machine so when I am in class I can access some files at home.

-I've set it up so I can remote FTP and SSH into the box and configured the firewall to reflect those changes.
    -Free virus scanner http://www.clamxav.com/
    -Set start up and shut down
    -Created a 'guest' account so they can access the server but this is where I have problems.

Now to my questions:
    1) I have created a user called TomsFTPGuest and have removed all the permissions I can via. the GUI. The problem is how do I set it so that user can only read but not write? I would like this user only be able to grab the music and files from my server but not upload or change anything for safety.

2) During start up many applications start like any other operating system. Is there anyway I change the services that start up so I can reduce my overhead? (Similar to msconfig on windows machines).

3) Streaming music: I'd like to be able to stream my music? I've got no clue on how to start this :hsd:

4) Any other suggestions? I'd like to make it as stable as possible with tight(er) security.

5) Does the G4 Sawtooth have any overheating problems I should know about? It will be running for 8 hours a day.

Thank you! :bigthumb: So much. Once my knowledge grows I hope to be able to help out the Mac crew here on OT!

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

streaming music can be done via quicktime server.

You can either change the permissions on your music folder, or move your music to the public directory in your home folder.

3. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Thanks,

Can anybody else anwser this?

2) During start up many applications start like any other operating system. Is there anyway I change the services that start up so I can reduce my overhead? (Similar to msconfig on windows machines).

4. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

system prefrences => accounts => login items.

5. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Sweet, thanks!