OS Not Loading

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Sep 11, 2003.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I got a new computer a few weeks ago that was a barebones system. All it needed was a HD and some more RAM. I got all the components yesterday and installed them. The system recognized the HD, it's set as master. I ran the partition and left a partition of 80GB. When I install windows xp, it does the format, copies over all the files and says it's going to reboot to continue installation. When it restarts, it goes straight back into the install screen and starts over. If I take out the XP cd, it tells me it needs a boot disc and to hit enter once I've put it in. I figured maybe there was something with the way that windows disc was installing so I tried installing Red Hat. Red Hat did the full install, rebooted and did the exact same thing. Asked for a boot disc...

Has anyone else ever run into anything like this or have any suggestions as to what may be causing it? I have a few other hard drives I could use as master and just leave this as slave, but the computer seems to recognize it.

It's an Asus A7V8X-X mobo
    Maxtor 80GB hd.

I've never run into anything like this and hopefully someone has some ideas on where to go.

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Check BIOS to see where it has the default boot device set.. sounds like it is set to boot to CD, and not the master drive.

3. RaginBajin

That is my roommate.. I changed his setting in his Bios to boot from the HD instead of the CD... It pops up with the message saying no boot device found.. It's boggling my mind.

4. RaginBajin

Boot order is:

Drive
    Floppy
    CD
    Other

5. RaginBajin

I just tried disabling all other boot options and got the same error.

"Disk boot failure, enter system disk and press enter."

6. RaginBajin

*PROBLEM SOLVED*

I brought other drives home from work where they were set to slave. I installed the new drive as Master, but for whatever reason, the PC was trying to boot from the other drives first so it was failing when it didnt find an OS. I unplugged everything else and it went straight in.

So simple, so dumb...

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Some BIOSs allow you to select which drive to boot from, regardless of the master setting. Older BIOS allow you to boot drive "D" first, newer ones have you select which HD you want booted first (and if you had a slave in there before the master it probably defaulted to the slave and you never changed it).