OS for old laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by photo_piyamp, Sep 17, 2005.

1. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

I have an old laptop I dug out of the closet from years ago. It has a 1.4 gig HDD, 133 Mhz processor, and 16 Mb of ram (it had 64 but it was removed for some reason so it's down to its base 16). It runs windows 95 fine except when I load a program it makes that crackling sound while it tries to load it on 16 MB of ram and the noise is getting sort of annoying. I want to install a seperate, less ram heavy, OS. I use Fedora Core on my desktop but I don't think my laptop will run that so does anyone know of an OS that I could use? Btw, I'd like it to have a GUI cuz I'm not to keen on command line but I'll take anything.

P.S.
    I've done a little research and I think Slackware or Damn Small Linux is what I'm looking for, has anyone used it before?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yup. A compact Linux distro with a small X setup optimized for such a computer is the way to go.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Damn Small Linux, I've never personally put it on a laptop, but I hear it is the way to go.

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Linux or DOS

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Minix is the shit.

6. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

why not just use a live linux distro?

knoppix is great, ubuntu is worth checking out(they might even be still sending free live and install cd's)

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Because with that old of a computer, a live distro such as those are going to run a lot worse then win95. This is assuming that he even has a cd drive on that computer.

You also could go the gentoo route if you want to be crazy and have a really fast OS, however the install would be a bitch and you would need another computer set up for compiling unless you want 1 week + compiles (for real).

Your best non-windows bet is going to be going with one of the earlier said linux distros such as damn small and minix.

8. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

wait, what about gentoo? a week plus compiles? you mean the installation or just compiling programs from source? i've heard about gentoo before and how it's popular but i thought it was more of a desktop/workstation distro, could be wrong i guess so i'll check into it. btw, does anyone know what damn small is based on? slackware, debian, redhat...? i'm not a rpm type of guy so as long as i can compile i'm good :)