os 9 or 10, your favorite

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jayrod, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jayrod

jayrod Lurker extraordinaire...

blah

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I have to admit I liked the feel of OS 9 for some reason, but OS X is definitely a lot more stable and snappier. So, for me, OS 9 wins on form. OS X wins on function.

3. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I like OS X just becuase it's BSD without any problems and a kick butt interface :coold:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've never used os9 so I really can't give an opinion. I like the looks of osx better though. Whenever a program has to run on os9 I delete it and look for a similar program that will run on osx.

I just don't have the ram to run os9 all the time. :(

5. dmora

dmora Guest

Osx > *.os.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: I think there was a user interface cohesion in the classic Mac OS that will just never be realized by the UI guys doing OS X. it's a fucking shame that so many of the old guys were put out over the years by bad CEOs (and a few by Jobs, too).

Flashier = better seems to be the MO these days, and I think it's only now getting better... an example would be Expose, which is both highly functional *and* cool-looking. But finder windows, view options, all of that... I'm starting to feel like they will never have the cohesive interaction that classic Mac OS windows did. John Siracusa over at ArsTechnica has written a ton about the Mac OS, the "Spatial Finder", and metadata, and why he thinks (and I agree) that Apple is screwing itself over to a degree with their implementation of GUI decisions under OS X. I'll post it when I find them, it's a phenomenal read.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

found the Finder article :)

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

I'm gonna make a new thread about this, it's truly eye-opening... a long read but worth it if you're at all intrigued by the design aspects that go into creating the visual interfaces that go into designing computer systems. :bowdown:

8. maczter

good to know i'm not alone. :hs:

9. maczter

cool. i'll check it out. i am very much into interface design. i actually wrote a paper/web site on web interface design in college (and i was an advertising major). :)