Ortho Evra (the patch)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cerridwen, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Anybody else concerned with all of the new warnings that are coming out for Ortho Evra now? I just started it 3 weeks ago, but I'm a little nervous hearing all of the things I've heard about it.
    Just wondering how other people felt about it.

2. SCIronMike

SCIronMike OT Health Guru

All hormonal birth control methods carry the risk of blood clots that could potentially be fatal. Because Ortho Evra is a higher dosage than the pill, the chances of such an event are higher..... some research shows possibly 3 times higher. It is up to each individual patient and physician to decide whether the risk is worth the benefit.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I've had some trouble with hormonal birth control too. I was on the pill for about 3 months, and I bled for the last couple of weeks I was on it. I like the patch, but am a little concerned about the possible health risks that are associated with it.
    Obviously I will call my doctor and discuss this with her also, but it's nice to be more informed yourself.
    I'm married, so I'm not concerned about anybody finding out I'm sexually active.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I can completely understand that :)
    My comment about calling my doctor was more of a response to SCIronMike than you ;) (in case you thought it was directed at you).

5. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Wow..

How long were y'all on the patch with these issues? My wife don't need anything ATM (12 weeks pregnant) but she was on the patch before for about 8mths( maybe almost a year, she switched from depo to otho on her last yearly). She's had no issues with it at all. Normal periods blah blah blah. She had bad weight gain on the shot, but patch she lost nearly all of the baby weight(from 1st kid) and from the shot. I think the patch is great.. no worries about it whatsoever.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Congratulations on the pregnancy! :)
    edit: just saw your other post. no worries about it until you forget to replace one, right? lol Glad the two of you are happy about it.

This is only my third week on the patch. My issues were with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (the pill). I've been fairly happy with the patch so far. It doesn't make my breasts as sore as the pill did, and I have had very little breakthrough bleeding.
    I haven't noticed any weight gain with either one though.
    I really like the patch so far too, I guess I am just getting nervous with these reports coming out about how it has more risks associated with it (due to the higher amount of hormones) than the normal BC pill does.

7. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Yeah.. i think if you didn't have any adverse affects from other hormonal treatment, you should be OK. Wife was just fine on the patch. Was so effective, able to do it rubber free during the week off. Just be careful if you go over a week w/o it (it was 4 days before we realized she didn't have it on).

<- hopes it's a girl!