Original iMac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, May 30, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

My sister just bought an original iMac for her grandson to use. She gave it to me cause she couldn't get the CDROM to work.

Just booted it up and found it was the property of a school and has some special menu software on it. I'm pretty sure this is blocking the use of the CDROM. So I've decided to format and install OS9 on it fresh.

I don't know shit about OS9. Are there other versions of it or just one? If there are other versions, what's the latest version I can use?

Any chance I can use the OS9 install disc that came with my PowerBook? :hs:

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

You won't be able to use an OS 9 disc from a PowerBook. The latest version is OS 9.2.2. If you want to get rid of the school stuff, change the RAM configuration (take a stick out or something) then turn it on and reset the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R) and let it restart a couple times, then you can put the RAM back in. Schools tend to have an Open Firmware password on their machines, and this is the only way to reset that. Good luck!

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I think I'd rather just format it.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I have a bondi iMac sitting around too.

9.2.2 is the very latest version. As long as you install 9.1 or later you will be able to use Software Update to upgrade to 9.2.2. iCab is going to be your only browser choice for the most part. Don't expect the best compatibility with most websites.

It's quite a trip to do a full install of an OS and see it only requires 218MB of space.

5. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Oh what the fuck was the name of that program schools would install on the Macs so you couldn't change settings and you could limit access to menus and apps. It ran at boot and had it's own desktop interface.

Fucking hated it. Sounds like that's what you have.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

At Ease :down:

The upside is that 90% of the time you could force quit it. :big grin:

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i used to have a bondi original imac, i think it had like 256mb of ram. it came with os x on it, it ran...it was kind of slow though

i used the included discs and dropped it down to os 9, then got bored with it and put it on ebay. some mac collector guy bought it now for about $100 more than what i paid.

i kind of miss it

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

It is At Ease.

So I just got a OS 9 disc. Burned it and it boots fine on the iMac. When I try to run the installer, it says the firmware on the iMac needs to be updated and it's in the extras folder.

I go to install the firmware update and a window comes up telling me what to do. When I click shutdown I get an error saying that the system disc is locked and it can't move necessary files to the system folder. I'm assuming it's copying startup files that will update the firmware on the next update.

Any clue how to get around this? I don't get how it can still be locked after booting from the OS 9 disc.

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

So I found this...

So I copied the firmware update folder to the hard drive. Copied just fine. Then I restarted to try to run it from OS 9. Now when I turn it on get a smiley face icon in the center of the screen that blinks a ?. Ugh.

WTF do I do now?

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

Tried doing what it says here...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

I attempted to 'rebless the system folder' but I don't get what it wants me to do. I have no idea what to copy from the CD system folder to the harddrive system folder. And when I try to copy the whole thing it says I can't cause some things are locked.

Ugh.

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

Ok. So I tried formatting the drive and copied the system folder over. Still doesn't boot.

So now I'm screwed with an empty, unbootable hard drive. So I can't update the firmware. How can I get it so I can boot off the HD?

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

what is the exact version of Mac OS you're trying to boot from? That might shed some light on things.

13. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

I've got two purple iMacs in the garage i need to get rid of...

14. verbal

verbal Active Member

I dunno. Now it doesn't matter since I formatted the drive.

Is there any way to get a firmware updater bootable disc? Otherwise it looks like I have to get the original disc that came with this iMac.

15. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I meant the version of the OS CD you're using. Making a bootable system should be as easy as dragging the system folder from the CD to the root level of the hard drive... open system folder, then drag the item called "System" to the desktop, and then back into the System Folder.

Go to Control Panels > Startup Disk and select that disk/system folder as the preferred startup disk. Restart. In 99% of cases, this should work. The only reason you might need a firmware update for the iMac is because that was practically the first machine ever to migrate to the Open Firmware ROM-in-RAM platform.. which means that a newer OS 9 CD may expect the firmware to be in a state that it''s not right now, owing to the age of the iMac. In that case, you would do well to track down the original software CDs that came with the iMac, and upgrade incrementally from there (including the firmware update).

16. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

The original OS X will run on it decently, I had it installed on mine back in the day. (I don't remember the exact specs on my system though)

17. verbal

verbal Active Member

OS 9 torrent I downloaded. Comes with all the updates too but you have to install them separately.

I did that after I formatted, but I didn't move 'system' to the desktop and back to the system folder. When I boot it says...

And I have to restart.

18. verbal

verbal Active Member

The disc is 9.0.4

19. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Hrm. But when you try to install, it says the firmware update is required before the installation can proceed?

I owned one of these machines some years ago, and I can tell you that they shipped with no lower than OS 8.5.3. If you can find a later 8.5 or possibly an 8.6 disc, those might work without requiring the firmware upgrade. Alternatively, you could find the original system discs on ebay or somewhere else.

Or, you could open the iMac and get the drive out, pop it in another mac and format it, put it back in and hope it runs. The iMac from that era was not the most fun disassembly (though not terrible, I did it as a teenager), but it's possible.

If it were me, I'd try to find the software. There were actually a shitload of apps that came with the original iMac, maybe you can find the complete set somewhere.

20. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i love those old imacs haha

21. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've been searching but I can't find crap. I have one other person to ask.

22. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Could also be OnGuard or FoolProof too. :mamoru:

23. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

10.3 will run great 10.4 will run decent, up the hdd with a fast 7200rpm and 16mb of cache and ram to a minimum of 512mb, however to run the OSes i mentioned. With less then that, you might as well do something else for a few hours while it loads LOL

24. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

If it's the old bondi machine then it only has a 4GB drive. Not a lot of room to install OS X.

25. verbal

verbal Active Member

Ok, so I got an OS 8.5 disc....

..but it's not bootable. This is pissing me off. I really want to get this piece of shit out of my house.

Help me please!