A&P organizing photos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by iRate, Mar 27, 2010.

1. iRate

iRate New Member

well, I dedicated today for working on photos, website, blog, and legal documents. Right now, I'm trying to organize my photos better and have a hell of a time. I can't figure out a good way to have everything together and separated per category

do you guys organize photos, or do you just shoot a session, edit, then dump the raws? if you do that, how do you organize the jpegs?

2. pantheR

pantheR New Member

X:/photo/shoot_name

i name my shoots by year, month, day:

100327_photos_from_today

I keep all the raw's in each folder, import with lightroom, and save all edits in a folder called 'edit' within that folder (photos_from_today/edit)

unless i want to run a batch with LR to all photos

i usually keep the raws until they get very old, and even then i keep the 'has potential' raws

edit: and i have PS actions for converting to facebook size, blog size, thumbnail size, watermark, etc.

3. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I use LR2 for all of my organizing...

There's some good workflow videos out there...

But I have a separate catalog for just fun stuff...and then a separate catalog for the occasional "professional" work that I do.

I keyword all items so that if I ever need to pull something up it makes it a bit easier to find...

But upon uploading (and this is new within the last month)...lets say it's engagements. I'll have a collection set for all Engagements and then a specific collection set for XXXXX & XXXXXX Engagements. I'll create a collection titled: All Photos and dumb the entire set into their (less the OOF shots and just crap shots that are useless). I'll then pick and tag the shots from the remaining pictures and then create yet another collection (in the same XXXXX & XXXXXX collection set called, "Good pics" or something to the effect. Then from the remaining 30 good pictures, I'll sort through those and pick my best shots and create another collection "Best pics" and then edit those.

So end up with a collection set for each category of pictures...and then a collection set for each actual shoot....then the overall shoot, good, and best pictures.

Hope that makes sense.

4. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

photos - > category -> year -> YR-MO-DAY_filename

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

E:powersImagery_work/Photoshoots/Name_Date/Name_Date_AP_WeborHighres_file sequence

E:powersImagery_work/Events/ClientName/EventName_Date/EventName_Date_AP_WeborHighres_filesequence

E:powersImagery_work/Celebrity/ClientName/CelebName_Date/(firstfivelettersof CelebsLastname)(AP)filesequence