O'Reilly - Safari books online

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Dec 21, 2007.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

http://safari.oreilly.com

Anybody subscribe to this?? I'm on a trial right now, and I have to say that they have a TON of books on there for all different kinds of technology related stuff. I try to read a lot to just stay sharp, and figure this might be worth the money vs. paying $40-80 every time i buy a new book. Thoughts?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Despite being extremely tech-oriented, I find I do better with a tangible book, as opposed to e-books.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i don't subscribe, but our employer provides full accounts to safari. great reference imho, but i can't sit in front of a computer and just read. need a book to do that.

4. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

I've used it at home, and we have it at work. It's good (especially the search functionality), but you're tethered to your computer with it. There are a very limited number of download credits each month for the separate chapters, so taking it with you on a mobile device is difficult.

When I go through an entire book I'd rather read on my N800 than on my laptop. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to find CHMs and PDFs of the books on torrent sites. Safari only allows PDF downloads of individual chapters, and limits the number of chapters you can download each month.

You can buy more chapter credits, but then you're just paying for the same digital content all over again in a different format. I could use my N800's browser to login and read from the website instead of the chapter PDFs when I run out of credits, but that's a pain in the ass and the wireless eats up my battery (and isn't always available). Beyond that, I'm partial to CHM over PDF since it resizes better on the small screen.

It's a great service, but the value is rather variable. When learning for my own enjoyment, it's a lot more comfortable to read either from a paper book or my N800 (as opposed to my computer). As a professional resource, it's great to be able to search the contents of the entire library when you need to find a solution to a specific problem or get up to date quickly on a specific topic.