GUN Oregon Open Carry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P07r0457, Sep 23, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have reviewed much of the leaglize, as well as checked various online "cheat sheets". However, they don't all agree.

What constitutes a "concealed" firearm? Would being in a holster at my waist be considered concealed? The officer would not be able to easily see it as it would be hidden between my body and the door panel. Would it be considered concealed if it were in the vehicle on the passenger seat? What about on the dash, or in a cup holder?

I will be working on taking the neccessary class and applying for my CCW... But in the mean-time, I don't want to push any envelopes. Can any law enforcement officers, or others very familiar with Oregon laws shed some light on this issue? I am in Jackson County, so I don't have to worry about that Portland non-sense.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I know you can have a loaded rifle sitting next to you in the front seat of your car and I can't imagine a hanggun would be any different as long as it was right there in the open. However, I'm not sure I would take the chance of hoping the officer who pulled me over knows that law or someone passing by who can see into my car who's calling 911.

In my opinion, toss it in the glove box or console, don't drink and drive or do anything else stupid to warrant a search of your vehicle.

As for open carry in a belt, when I open carry which is almost never, I just make sure my shirt is tucked into the inside of the pistol exposing the grip and holster. In my opinion as long as you have part of the gun showing, it's being openly carried. It would be kind of ridiculous to have the whole thing showing while wearing a winter jacket during the winter.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I guess my question is what is considered "open". I know when walking down the street, a hip holster visible with is fine. However, when I'm sitting in my car, it would be difficult to see -- is that considered concealed?

And my understanding is that a center console or glove box would definitely be "concealed".

I guess I understand what I can do at home, and what I can do away from home -- but what do I do while transporting myself from home to away from home???

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think it's just a confusing law. Personally, because I don't have my CHL yet, I toss my handguns in the trunk when I take them somewhere. Yeah it's kind of an inconvenience but I'd rather do that then be arrested because my open belt holster was concealed when I was sitting in my car.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

If it's concealed when you're standing, it's concealed when you're in a car. The car can't technically conceal the gun. That would be the equivalent of saying the gun is concealed if you are standing behind a counter, on the other side of a wall, etc.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Just tuck your shirt in or tuck it in btwn the holster and your pants to make sure the shirt doesn't drape over the gun and you should be fine.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Hey, that's a good point, I never thought of it that way.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm going to call dispatch today and request to speak with an officer. I guess hearing it from a LEO's mouth will ease my mind, a bit. I agree that in a hip holster, outside of the shirt would be a legal open-carry -- but life has taught me it's not what you think is right, it's what others think is right, that counts.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Let me know what you find out, I've always been curious about this. I'd probably open carry more if I knew for sure, especially in my car if it was legal.

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I've had bad luck asking random cops laws about firearms. They usually are wrong and er on the side of lack of armament. Post what they say.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I ended up at a friend's house for a movie, so I didn't call them. I agree cops generally err on the side of lack of armament; however, it is the same cops that err on the side of armament as who will be actually harassing me while I'm doing my own thing... So if they don't like it, I feel that is an important fact to know in advance -- legal or not, if they're gonna piss in my cheerios for it, I'll live without the "freedom". I just don't want to end up in jail for some stupid thing that I could have avoided. I know there are people that will endure any possible humiliation and inconvenience just to prove their point -- but I'd rather not get hassled about it.

Regardless, that's jumping the gun, a bit -- I'll ask a cop, and I'll post their response here.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

So you HAVE to carry open in Oregun? I never knew that.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can carry open or concealed, you just need a permit for concealed.

14. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Oh ok. You can do both in MN as well, but you need a permit for both.
    That's kinda neat. Being able to carry, albeit open carry, without a permit.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, open carry 18+ no permit required. Concealed carry is 21+ with appropriate permit.