GUN Oregon Firearms Acadamy Review (DH1)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, May 25, 2008.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/index.htm

On Friday the 23rd I took the day off and went to OFA and took Defensive Handgun I. Overall it was a very good class, now here are the details.

Cost: $150
    Ammo Count: Recommended 400-500 rounds
    Time: 1hr of classroom going over safety and ~7hrs on the range.

First thing's first, he staff is excellent. They all have a ton of experience and one of them has a ton of legal experience including being a former prosecutor and civil attorney. So if you want to carry, or do carry in Oregon I highly recommend the Basic Handgun Safety (or their Utah carry permit) class as it goes over just about everything you need to know about the legal implications. Anyway, the staff is great, very nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. BIG focus on safety which IMO was great. They've been around for 12 years and haven't had a single gun related injury. It's nice to know you're safe, especially when you're shooting along side a bunch of people who you don't know.

Their facility gets an A+ from me. They have an excellent classroom and range. In their DH2 and DH3 classes they do force on force in a simulation building. I'm excited to get to try that out when I take those classes.
    [​IMG]
    (not my pic, just one I grabbed off their website to show part of the range.

We mainly focused on:
    Drawing
    Shooting
    Weak and strong handed shooting
    Admin/combat/tac reloads
    Cover and concealment
    Phase I/II malfunctions
    Close quarters shooting
    a few other things I can't remember now

No real complaints other than they were still recommending Federal Hydrashock, although they did list off some other good defensive rounds.

Another note
    I know a lot of other courses go through a lot more ammo, but for about the first half of the class we'd load up 6 rounds in out mags and go with that. Draw, shoot a couple, scan, holster, repeat. We did do a couple other drill where we shot full mags but I feel this way, we really got to practice the fundamentals a lot more.

If anyone is looking for some serious training I would not hesitate to recommend OFA. I'd like to train elsewhere to see how other guys do it but I will definitely be back with OFA for the rest of the Defensive Handgun series and their low-light/night-fire classes :big grin:.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:coold: I plan on signing up for LMS Defense Pistol 1 in November when they're in San Jose

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Good on you for taking training.

What were their scanning techniques?

You also don't mention movement. Did you move at all?

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

We went down into the low ready position (low enough to see target's hands) and a continual 360° scan (still facing downrange, but they made sure we looked far enough back where we could see in all directions.)

We did get to move, from the close quarters shooting, we'd take a step back while drawing and verbalizing, then firing. We also moved a little behind cover. Practiced different kneeling techniques and shooting on the right, above, and left side of cover while kneeling. I believe DH2 gets into more movement and firing while retreating to cover, but I haven't taken it yet.

5. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

They do those courses in Lebanon, or is it some where else?

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's near Brownsville.

8. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

~45 minute drive...I just might have to look into some of their classes.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I just signed up for the 16 June Fighting Pistol in Bastrop. :coold:

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:h5: