Ordering an UDM, need help on the kit!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MSIGuy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So, I want to take advantage of AutoGeek's 15% off and free shipping to get an UDM. I need to know what kit or selection of stuff to get!

I know I want an UDM, and a variety of pads. I'm going to be doing correction on my friends moderately to heavy swirled black Grand Prix, my neglected maroon Buick before I sell it, and mild swirl correction and protection on my Polar White Scion xB.

I want to get the best bang for my money, and possibly keep it below $200 if I can. So what pad's products should I get? I was thinking of a pad kit with a variety of pads and some Optimum products. Optimum Compound, Polish, and Opti-Seal I think.

Can anyone help me putting this together? I want to get it tonight possibly or tomorrow. I've got waxes and sealants pretty much covered, I'll probably grab some more later though. Thanks!

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

CCS pads do pretty good for me. I'm going to try some 3M finishing products on my gf's black camaro and see if they work as good on hard paint as they do on soft. If so, then all my other polishes/compounds are out and i'm switching to 3M.

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So do you have any specific recomendations on pads? I know I get 4 Wolfgang Orange Light Cut pads with the order, but I don't know if the light cut and Optimum Compound will be enough for the Grand Prix. I haven't looked at my Buick lately either, but I'm sure there are moderate to heavy swirls and I'm pretty sure its a single stage paint. That'll be my practice car since I'm going to be selling it anyway. Just hoping that the detail I give it will get me maybe an extra $100 or so...

4. shanker

shanker unemployed

I ordered mine last monday, this is what I got

Ultimate Detailing Machine™ Dual Action Orbital Polisher with FREE BONUS! $149.99 1 Yes $149.99
    FREE for a limited time! Receive 4 Wolfgang™ Low Profile 5.5 inch Orange Light Cutting Pads FREE with the purchase of this item. (Retail value $35.96)
    Cobra Cross Groove™ 6.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad $9.99 1 Yes $9.99
    Cobra Cross Groove™ 6.5 Inch Gray Finishing Pad $9.99 1 Yes $9.99
    CCS 6.5 inch Green Polishing/Finishing Pad $10.99 1 Yes $10.99

came out to 153 after everything...

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Yeah, your post was what made me want to get the UDM seeing how cheap it was. Any reason you choose Cobra pads?
    I guess, do the pads make that much of a difference? I just keep hearing CCS pads over and over.

6. shanker

shanker unemployed

Ive never used Cobra or CCS pads, All I have ever used are 3M pads on my Rotary 9227c, this is my first RO polisher....I just picked a bunch of random stuff.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I mostly use Meguiars and Lake Country pads. Excel detail (see our vendor's list) has a wide variety of pads.

8. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I'm gonna design some pads with stars cut out in them. I was reading that this really causes the finish to luster like none other..........

WTF?

I'm so tired of pad gimmicks!!!

I'm about ready to back to just Meguiar's flat pads!

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

They do make excellent pads. :)

If you decide to get 3M's Ultrafina, definitely get the waffle foam finishing pad that compliments it.

10. transportchef

transportchef OT Supporter

I am looking @ this also. Would this be okay for a beginner that would be doing 2 cars on the weekend?

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yes. definitely.

12. shanker

shanker unemployed

I got my UDM delivered today...cant wait to try it out this weekend