Ordering a Scion xB on Monday...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DaIceMan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

4 doors, necessary for 3 kids.

small engine, good for gas mileage (rated at 35 highway), I drive about 80 miles a day.

Nice looking/Ugly... doesn't matter to me what other people think of it. The more you hate it, the more I like it. ;)

affordable maintainence... at least on the parts I've checked on so far.

Replacement vehicle for a 97 Cavalier Z24. 140k miles, stock clutch (slipping), stock struts (rides like crap), broken windshield, broken exhaust, AC doesn't work, paint is shot (2 small children riding bikes into it), and no front bumper (loooooong story).

Opinions, flames... open for all comments.

2. cixelsyD

cixelsyD OT Supporter

Even a toaster with wheels is a step up from a cavalier. Have fun with it.

3. DaIceMan

haha. I can't complain much about the Cav. it's treated me much better than I ever treated it for about 115k miles. first 25k the motor blew(bad service work at a dealer) and the tranny went. Since those things were taken care of, the only "major" problem I had was when I grenaded the shifter cables.. but that was only like $100.

The Scion will be a nice change though.

4. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

why not just get a camry?

5. DaIceMan

need the ability to haul some medium to small stuff. (computers, office chair, coolers, etc).

6. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

trust me my father inlaw went towards the end of december and got a new camry. the trunk is huge for a sedan.

7. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

if your'e looking for a compact suv-type thing, i think there are better alternatives like a CR-V, rav4 or forester over an xB. the xB will be tight for a family of 5 as the kids continue to grow. as kids grow, so do their belongings and possessions. :p i personally would look for something like a legacy outback wagon if you're the anti-suv type.

8. DaIceMan

I NEVER have all 5 of us in my cavalier (mostly because we couldn't fit). We take my wife's Olds Silhouette instead. The xB is primarily transportation for me, and the once-twice a week that I have 1 or 2 of the kids in there. Since my wife teaches, and they are in school, she usually just brings them home. Rarely do I pick them all up, and even more rare that I would have the 5 of us in my car.

9. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

the xb is actually quite room, lots of headroom... trunk however is somewhat small...

10. DaIceMan

yeah, but the most I haul (while the kids are with me) is a few computers. Plenty of room for those. Once a month for a LAN party, I can fold the seats down and throw in the computer, monitor, cooler and office chair.

11. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

i would of suggest the matrix, but the amount interior space in the xB is really amazing

12. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

LOL i have a cardboard box in my garage that could probably kick an xb's ass, haha ill but a "type-r" sign on the back and maybe itll stand up to some civics

13. DaIceMan

Got it ordered. Worked out well, the dealership had one inbound that arrived in port yesterday. As soon as it makes it's way to the dealership, it's all mine. They predict 10 days or so.

Lowering springs and rear spoiler is the only options I got from Scion. local dealer orders wheels from Tire Rack, so I ordered a set of 18s (IBbigwheelsslowyoudown) and added that to financing as well. Cost me about $300 markup on the wheels, but at $30/mo financed, I can live with that.

Put down $8000, so I financed about $9400. Payments will be below $200, and should be closer to $180-185.

Putting on an alarm, with remote start (not a necessity for me, but something I wanted) and a small to medium stereo system, mounted as to maintain 90-95% of the hatch space. (IBbigstereosweighyoudown).

I'm pretty happy with the deal and dealership overall. The whole deal depends on the final ride and drive, but I can't imagine it being just like the test drive.

14. Brock_Landers

Brock_Landers Jailbait FTW!!!

Yeah, me too. I love my 'Trix, it is great. I haul the odd thing here and there, and my 3 kids.

15. DaIceMan

Matrix isn't bad looking, but I've always had "cars"... so I wanted something a little different. I think the xB certainly fits that description.

16. Man, I thought I was the only one that liked the XB. It looks like a Hot Wheels or something, but being square and boxy, it's really original looking to me. It also seems just too easy to customize -- rims, tint, etc... Also the lack of "swoopy" body lines would make it easier to add graphics without having to consider interfering with them.

I'm really considering buying one as I'm in close to the same situation as you: married, couple of kids, no need for massive amounts of hauling room -- got the suburban and a trailer if I need that.

We're taking a two week vacation to the east coast this summer and I'm really wanting to rent an XB instead of taking the burb. With the cost of gas, it should almost pay for itself. Will dealerships rent these things to you by the week?

Truthfully, we've been researching the Prius. 60 mpg is almost too good to pass up. Then we found out there was a 6 month waiting list for them and started considering other options.

Please keep us updated when you get it to some advantages/disadvantages of the XB.

17. DaIceMan

my salesman (who usually shoots pretty straight with me) says that some of his customers are reporting upto 38mpg. not too shabby, I think.

18. I'm assuming $300 markup for the wheels is a typo meant to read $3,000. I didn't realize they would roll that into the financing. I've never owned a brand new car before. I swore I never would due to the dramatic price depreciation, but I guess if you're gonna keep it more than a couple of years it'll pay for itself.

What color did you get?

19. DaIceMan

No, the wheels, had I ordered them myself, would have been about $1300... they are "selling" them to me for $1620 (mounted, balanced, installed).

This is actually my 3rd new car in a row. After having older cars that I was constantly dumping money into repairs, I decided it would likely cheaper in the long run to have something dependable, with a warranty.

My first new cavalier, a 96 coupe, I totalled. Then I got a 97 cavalier z24. Still have it with about 140,000 miles on it, but it's in pretty bad shape. Going to use it as my beater car to drive during inclement weather so I don't have to chance wrecking the new xB.

20. Well, I called all the dealerships and rental places in the area today and found out that nobody rents the XB. That sucks. I'll just have to be satisfied w/ a test drive.

21. DaIceMan

Mine is expected for delivery "march 22nd - 28th". Wasn't on todays truck. I'll call again at 9am tomorrow... and the next day... and the next day... until it comes in.

Got the garage cleaned out over the weekend so it has a nice cozy place to sleep when it comes home. :)

22. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

after seeing somebody call a Matrix a "trix" ... i shall now be laughing every time I see one.

I have a tC... has an ungodly amount of storage space with the rear seats down. Moved half of my goddamn apartment in two trips :o

23. DaIceMan

Dealer is KILLING ME! STILL no car (scheduled to be here 22nd - 28th).

24. Brock_Landers

Most of my "single" friends call it "The Gaytrix".:wtc: But I like the car. Done a lot to it TRD S/C, 5Zigen 18's, lowered it , etc.

25. Brock_Landers

I love the xB, unfortunatley we don't get them up here in Kanada.:wtc: My wife really likes them, and it would be a good replacement for her Minivan.