Ordered some new toys last night...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GooeyGus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129021

New CPU cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118019

New Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817814015

And last but not least, some ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231098

The reason I bought this stuff is so that I could use it for my current build (q6600, HD3870, GA-P35-DS3L) and also build another machine in the case that I'm using now which will be the spare stuff I have sitting around... So the spare build will be: AMD 5000+ black edition, GA-M61P-S3, 2bg Kingston RAM.

I just had too many spare parts laying around to NOT build another fairly nice machine, and do a bit of upgrading to mine in the process :hsugh:

What do you guys think? Lookin' good?

Any of you have any of the parts I just bought? If so, how do you like them?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

too many LEDs. that's got to be annoying.
    whatever floats your boat though

3. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I agree the power supply is a bit much... looks like a fucking rave, but I read from a few different places that it was one of the best modular 700w PSU's out there, so I guess I'll have to deal with it heh... and I usually swap out all the case fans with quiet/better/non-led so I think the only bright stuff I should have is the cpu heatsink and the PSU for a hint of pizazz lol....

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Nice.

I probably wouldn't mind the led's at all. And Antec fans are big and efficient.

Why swap them out at all?

At least wait until it maybe starts getting on your nerves.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've got that same case, it's really sweet. Tons of cooling which the 3 position fans let you tune the balance between noise and cooling.
    The fans are really easy to change out or even just black out if they put out too much light for your preference.

6. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

It just depends how it all looks in the end... I have had a few cases that were so bright I couldn't sleep at night, almost like the little LED's on the front face had magnifying lenses on them (I think it was an apevia?) Anywho, we'll see how it pans out. As long as it doesn't look like a constant rave in my room i'll be alright. :noes:

7. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

What settings do you have your fans on? I have this bad habit of just cranking everything to the max all the time, but I think with this case i'm going to go for the "quieter than a hurricane" approach.

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I have mine cranked. Even on the highest setting, they're making 30db of noise and pushing 79cfm. My raptor hdd is the loudest thing in my system. I am also overclocked with 4 hard drives and an 8800gtx in my case, so I'd prefer it to be a bit louder and run cooler.

9. Doc Brown

I run Antec tri-cools in all my builds, and with the fans on low I can barely hear them, and all my temps are still very low.
    I also run a Zalman cooler on my cpu as well as my video card.

10. Doc Brown

Is your raptor screwed into an aluminum space?

The reason I wonder, is that my Antec NSK-6500 has hard drive trays that use silicone grommets for the hard drive mounts. I'm running 3 raptors and a 750gb Seagate, and I can barely even hear them running.
    I can hear them during big file transfers, but that's about it.

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

it's not a rattle, it's only when the drive is working hard that I can hear it, same as you.

12. Doc Brown

I understand that it's not a rattle, but I wonder how much reverberation occurs because of a drive being attached directly to the case metal vs. silicone grommets.

:dunno:

13. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

I've got the same case :h5:

14. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Really like that case. I agree the psu LEDS are a bit much :p

15. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I can't imagine that you'd be able to notice it. In the Nine Hundred, there are 2 drive cages that hold 3 drives in each one, so the drive gets screwed into the cage with 4 screws, then there's another 4 screws that mount the drive cage to the case.
    I didn't have my 150gb raptor in my sonata II case, but I did run my 36gb raptor in that case, and never noticed any vibration, jus the noise the drive makes when working. I have noticed that the 150 is louder than the 36 though.

16. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I had an old 36gb raptor that was quiet as can be but also always ran on the hot side. I ended up turning it into warranty because of some problems I started having with it. Now my new raptor still 36gb is alot louder, but it runs alot cooler.

Guess it might depend on the model you have.