Ordered New parts from NEWEGG. What you think?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by archangel, Jan 29, 2005.

1. archangel

archangel Active Member

Click on Link

Mobo Intel
    $105.00

Cpu Intel
    $159.00

Memory- *DDR 512|PC3700 DD466-512 BFL%
    $86.00

Hard Drive- HD 80GB|MAXTOR 6Y080M0 SATA %
    $65.00

Subtotal

$415.00

Tax

$.00
    Shipping and Handling

$11.01
    Total

$426.01

Mobo has onboard video so I dont need one. Maybe later I'll get a 6800GT. But I mainly use this comp for DVD ripping, internet and email. What do you guys think? Yea I probably should have gone w/ an AMD 64 since I like to game a little bit and the new OS will be 64 bit. But I never knew AMD was so good at gaming till last night. :squint:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

No offense, but good luck with LGA775; it's crap. Delicate sockets, and mini-space heaters. I think the FX55 vs. 3.8EE benchmarks don't really do Intel much justice these days.

You should cancel your order and pick up a Socket 478 or socket 939 based motherboard/CPU. I already know a guy who's whole LGA775 rig was fried because of Intel's poor stock cooling...

3. archangel

archangel Active Member

gosh I dunno. It's complicated learning about computer parts and picking them out.. There is a very different view about this mobo posted earlier on here.
    Also I spoke to a guy at newegg and he said intel's are reliable

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I'm decently happy w/ my 530, 915G, DDR2 setup from Dell. Base system w/ 17" flatpanel was $550 w/ tax and free shipping w/ 3 year warranty. I've added a gig of ram and a PCX5750 and it does my programming/CAD needs just fine. I'm coming off 3 Athlon setups and the stock cooling is holding up perfectly fine despite some very heavy CPU loads. It's far more stable than any AMD setup I've had so I'm fine w/o being able to OC it.

In the top end a FX-55 does beat down the Prescott and any P4 but you're talking about a processor that costs almost as much as my entire system w/ 1.5GB memory, dual 17" flat panels, upgraded video card, 200GB SATA, and 3 year warranty.

If you're not gaming or looking for bragging rights the LGA775 setups work just fine. It's true that it's not optimal if you have your computer apart every 2 days but it gets the job done for cheap. If he throws on a 6800GT and plenty of memory it'll play any game available today.

5. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yes, it should be able to play games fine, but now I have a question:

JKuao, did those Athlon systems have Via chipsets? That's why some AMD systems are unreliable; it's because Via designs some of the shittiest chipsets mankind has ever created.

I had a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! mobo for my first build, and six months later the Via KT266A northbridge shitted out, and I could only run my FSB at 100MHz, as opposed to my Palomino's required 133MHz.

I now am running dual AMD 2600+ T-Bred CPU's, on a Gigabyte AMD 760MPX chipset based server motherboard. It's faster and more stable than any system I have ever used. I also have a 9700 Pro, and I had 1.12GB of RAM, but my 512 stick that was made by Crucial died. It has a lifetime warranty, so I'll just send it in, and I'll get a new stick for free.

If you are getting an AMD CPU, you MUST get an nForce or SiS based chipset. There is only one good K7 Via based model, which is the KT880. I have used the SiS 748 chipset, as well as the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset in my brother's machine, and the SiS is good, but the nForce is amazing. AMD no longer makes any K7 based chipsets, which is one of the reasons why it is so hard to find a Dual Socket A based motherboard. They stopped making that after they released the Opteron, in order to spur sales of it's new 64-bit baby.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SiS chipsets are the *WORST*. Whoever recommends them is a fucking asshat.

7. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

My SiS setup is actually a bit more stable than the VIA. But then again the VIA is OC'd a bit and in an even cheaper case/PSU setup. Both are ok but can't really match the generic Dells I have everywhere else.