ordered my bike yesterday!!!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HUMNZ71, Apr 12, 2003.

1. HUMNZ71

HUMNZ71 Guest

just ordered a 03 yamaha yzf r6, got the blue one i couldnt pass up on yamaha's financing and i got a smoking deal on the bike itself so had to do it. The place didnt have any in cause i guess they are selling like crazy here but shell be sitting in the garage in 1 to two weeks i cant wait ill post pics once i get her home. :bowdown:

2. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

First bike?

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

4. HUMNZ71

HUMNZ71 Guest

yeah itll be my first bike

5. Wolf

Why the R6? It's definitely not intended for first time riders.

6. HUMNZ71

HUMNZ71 Guest

well the price is right i dont want to buy a bike and end up with a headache im really picky i guess i would have had to know how an old bike as broken in and how well maintained it was, besides you cant beat yamaha's financing offers right now, i have a lot of self control so i know ill be a pussy on it until i feel comfortable on it.

7. J300ZTT-ATL

J300ZTT-ATL New Member

congrats, I'm heading up the dealer Thursday to see if I can work out a deal on a new R6..... i want red though. ;)

8. Wolf

Oh well. It's one thing to say you have self-control, it's another thing to exercise it. There are plenty of other new bikes that would have been much better to learn on. I see more new riders wrecking R6s than any other bike. Hope you know what you're getting into.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Good luck not getting seriously injured or killed.

I hope you have a couple extra thousand bucks in the bank, because you're gonna need it to replace the fairings you drop it.

Yes, I'm negative... and yes, I believe you have a higher chance if dying than you of living at this point.

10. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

Just to warn ya. I have a 2003 R6... its touchy as hell. I have ridden an R1 before and the R1 seems to be a little more forgiving. The R6 is like having a corvette tucked into a mountain bike frame. It will respond like a mothah. Just a hint (HINT!!!!) buy and install some frame sliders!!!! they will save you alot of cash and headaches in the long run. I don't know anyone anymore that doesn't have frame sliders on their bikes. If possible order them now and have them put on at the dealer. They will save your bike greatly. This is a big recomendation especially if it your first bike. I put my first bike down back in the day....pretty much everyone else does too.I even dropped my new one in a drive way becasue of some wet cold shit ass conditions trying to get it back to my garage at my house as careful as possible. The bike is fine but I am pissed off about it. It has some scratches now. Even seasoned riders tend to put down there sportbikes too. It seems that it is just something that happens to everyone one time or another. You may be lucky and not be one of the statistics who do...but odds are it willl happen.

Be careful man.

11. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Have you ridden an '01-'02 R6? How does the '03 feel comparatively? I'm seriously thinking about replacing my CBR F4 with an '03 R6, and while I liked the '02 that I rode.... I don't want something that's so nervous feeling.

The only thing I have to go off of right now are magazines, who speak highly of the bike.

12. blue95accord

blue95accord New Member

Congrats and please get gear. Gear meaning helmet, gloves, jacket, and over the ankle protection. Leathers are best, but not many can afford it. I wear jeans, they won't do squat for road rash, but its better than nothing.

I got a Gixxer 600 for my 1st bike, and its all about discipline. I've had it since Sept, and I am no where near mastering it.

13. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

The biggest thing I have seen with the 03 R6 is how responsive it feels. It isn't really nervous feeling. It will do what you tell it to do instantly though. I you have experience with riding sportbikes it should be no problem to get used to it. I have not ridden an 02 but since the old ones were carbed and the 03 is feul injected the throttle response with be slower on an 02. the 02 r6 are about the same weight and such so I would assume that they handle and cut in a similar manner. Other than that I don't know that they would be much different.

14. Wolf

I figure if you can't afford proper gear, then you can't afford to ride. It's all part of the package.

15. Redsky

Redsky Beat the one you love.

Yeah, my buddy let me ride his CBR600 this past weekend, and I have near 0 riding expirience. I was turning in an empty parking lot and in an attempt to create a more narrow angle, I used the rear brake, which swung the rear right out from under me. I was going maybe 10 mph, at the fastest. The bike fell on my foot and I got rashed on my elbow and knee. I'll be paying part of the deductable with the other friend that dropped the bike as well. Good times.

16. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

F1,2,3,4,or 4i? 10MPH is way too slow to be leaning an F3, F4, or 4i. At speeds that slow you want to stand up on the pegs and lean the bike over while keeping your body vertical with maybe a little counter lean.

At higher speeds you want to countersteer more and give it a little more gas to increase the lean angle, the LAST thing you want to do is think about touching the brake. Touching the brakes while in a high speed lean will stand the bike up and send you right off the road.

JK

17. Redsky

Redsky Beat the one you love.

I believe it's a F4i. I got in trouble mostly because I was too fast and didn't estimate the space I would need for the turn. I was much too overzealous, and I believe myself to be a safe driver. Bikes are another beast that makes you look stupid (or dead) if you overestimate your skills.

18. Wolf

I see that a lot. People on the bike boards come in saying "I have a 700hp Camaro, I can control the power of an R1", even though they're two completely different things.

Being able to control a 700hp car doesn't mean you can fly a plane, and it doesn't mean you can ride a motorcycle.

19. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

There is a lot of negative people here, and yes, if you don't exercise self control theres a very good chance you or the bike will be seriously injured or killed.

However I'd just like to dispute the "You'll put your bike down when you start riding, everyone does" myth.

I've been riding for almost 2 years now, had a ninja250 briefly (for about a month), a YZF600R, an f4i, and now a 954rr, and I have yet to drop a bike at all, whether at a stand still or while moving. Haven't even come close. And yes I ride like a bat out of hell plenty often enough, I do wheelies every time I ride, etc.

It's all about talent, and knowing WHEN to have self control and when its ok to open it up a bit :) So don't let all the negativity get to you, but PLEASE ride carefully and safely for at least the first few months.

20. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Get some frame sliders up on that bitch...you WILL drop it. =\

21. Veritas

Veritas Dallas > most

There are two types of riders. Those who have gone down and those that will. Don't worry, it will come one day. Probably when you least expect it and aren't wearing any gear. Ride safe.

BTW, get frame sliders, they will save you a lot of frustration, unless you like scratched and broken plastic.

22. iguana

iguana Guest

I just got rid of my F4...if you want a perfect step up without going to the next class, I *highly* recommend the kawi 636.

I did keith code's superbike school on the 636 and have to say the bike is awesome, by far the best 600 I've ever riden. The powerband is gently, and the bike is stable and tossable at the same time.

I would definately get it if I was looking for a 600 class bike.

23. iguana

iguana Guest

I agree with the frame sliders, it is always a great idea to prepare for the worst.

The "two types of riders" bullshit is retarded. Sure, it's a clever saying, but it has absolutely no substance.
    By that logic, if you take a random rider that has not gone done and has been riding for 5 years, he is more likely to go down than a novice. This is obviously BS.
    Take another example, borrowed from the Sportbike Performance Handbook: "If you apply the logic to flying, you can say that there are two types of pilots: those that have crashed, and those that will crash. Therefore, flying with a pilot who hasn't crashed in 20 years is more dangerous than flying with an inexperienced pilot, but he has a greater chance of crashing."

Your probability of going down has NOTHING to do with with all the other people who go down. There should be laws against statistics use be people who do not understand them.

If you remember to wear your safety gear, to never rider under the influence of anything, never ride tired, and never to stupid things on the street (race cars/bikes/cops), you will be fine.

24. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Pilots don't have to worry about soccer moms in SUVs yapping on cell phones.

25. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

Yeah, they have to worry about mothers with c4 tied around their stomachs yapping in arabic.