GUN Ordered a new holster today v.more kydex...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Mar 8, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Haven't been able to carry a holstered weapon yet. I am thinking small-of-the-back would be less intrusive because I always have things in my pockets, (cell phone, wallet in front pocket, keys). How did you like other holster positions if you have tried them?

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

SOB is generally frowned upon. Just think about the damage you could possibly do to your spine if you happen to fall on it.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

How does one learn about Holsters, I want to get my CHL this year because of the area and know next to nothing on holsters, how does one know what kinda to get, how much to spend on one etc

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's also the easiest waistband position to have your weapon taken from you. And if you get put on your back, you won't be able to access it in a crunch.

6. Admitted

Good thought. I already have terrible lower back problems.

I think a shoulder holster would be cumbersome, especially because I wear mostly t-shirts.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Checkout smaller guns like Kel-Tecs or J-Frames. You should be able to conceal them with an inside the waistband holster pretty easily with just a t-shirt.

8. Admitted

carry gun will be a Detonics Commander

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you really need to change your wardrobe around your carry gun, and not your carry gun around your wardrobe.

10. Admitted

Just seeing what is out there along the lines of a "t-shirt friendly" concealment

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

It depends on the weapon I use a simple IWB leather pancake holster at 1 o'clock and I almost always have, keys (remote fob, truck key and an additional 5-6 keys), bifold wallet, cellphone, chap stick, pack of gum, and 3" pocket knife. Granted it depends on the weapon you chose to carry, I have a smaller revolver (S&W M60 2 1/8"). I have never had a problem with the things in my pockets interfering with my gun, sometime I even have to hold onto my gf's set of keys in addition to mine. In addition to the consideration mentioned of it being a harder position to draw from, hurts if you fall and easier to be taken from you, it also is the most likely to play peak-a-boo when you bend over or squat, say at the grocery store to get something off the bottom self. Plus have you ever sat in a hard or uncomfortable chair? Can you imagine that experience with a holstered weapon pressing into your back.

Edit: and I wear plenty of t-shirts.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i think hes referring to off to the side about 4 or 7 position. not dead center sob

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I place my holster at 3o'clock. Relatively comfy when sitting down and standing, quick access and I can practice draw and shooting at my range if the gun's at 3o'clock. ;)

4o'clock is most comfy when standing for me but when I sit down I just don't like feeling my gun against my back. Those of you who put your gun at 4 do you not feel it when sitting down or did you just get used to it??

14. Admitted

OMG I just realized that was a IWB holster! I though it was a pocket one because of the knife! That shit is mad sneaky.

15. Rev. Links

Rev. Links New Member

It has been my experience, and everyone else I know's experience, that you just have to buy and try.

Personally I like OWB holsters, and not paddles.

Lots of people like IWB though.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

depends on the holster and the weather. I usually carry a 1911 or XD Tactical in a Galco Miami rig. I wear Tshirts with either a vest or a lightweight sportcoat over it. You get used to just about anything though with continual use. I don't even notice mine, the dual mag pouch offsets the weight somewhat. Don't skimp though if you get one. Get a good name brand and the wider the shoulder straps, the more comfortable they are usually.

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Spend alot of money.
    Seriously, I usually teach that you will end up spending as much on holsters as your weapon to find a brand/design/style/gun that fits your body and your dress style.
    I usually end up with a drawer full of holsters every year that I go through until I find 1 that I love. Then I just resell the others on forums.

You can get something that feels "ok" right off the bat but when you wear a gun all day, every day you will want one that feels better than ok.

Personally I can't stand Kydex anymore and have gone back to leather.

18. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I carry my glock in a tshirt. And it is a 30 the widest one they make. The grip being so short helps.

19. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

Good to know i was thinking that would be the best place for me but point taken. Well time to invest in a smaller gun. (5' 8" 140lbs)

20. What do you have?

21. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

g23

22. Not a bad choice. Why didn't you go with the G27 for concealed carry though?

Glock crew :h5:

23. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

i didn't like how it felt shooting it. First hand gun so i thought getting something i enjoyed shooting would be better. And not my last glock. :)

24. Everyone should have multiple glocks! Did you try any of the .45ACP or 10MM glocks? They feel totally different to shoot. The slower burning powder really reduces felt recoil, and in the case of the 10MM it's much more powerful too.

25. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

Thats on the list of things to do =)