Oracle DBAs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RotorBalls, Nov 2, 2005.

1. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

What fundamental knowlege and skills would an entry level DBA be expected to know? yeah I know SQL is needed, but aside from that. What's a reasonable salary for an Oracle DBA position.

Of course the reason I ask is that a company is interested in me. I had applied for a system admin job but they saw that I had some previous experience in Oracle. I'm definately interested but it'd be a huge learning curve for me being that my DBA experience in oracle was limited to my course work in college which was about two years ago. :hs:

2. ski

ski New Member

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

For an entry level person...

* Very good SQL knowledge, including efficiency differences in using different forms of queries.
    * Installation knowledge.
    * Backup and regular maintenance.
    * Export/Import abilities.
    * Excellent database design skills.

4. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I'm scared, hold me :hs:

5. CompiledMonkey

:rofl:

Well, at least if you get this job you'll come away with these skills. :dunno:

6. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

That's what I'm thinking, I know I have the ability to learn and do the job. I just don't want to fall flat on my face not knowing anything stepping into a new position.

I've been going through some CBT courses in oracle that my current employer provides, but there's so much info. I still have my old oracle book too, man this is gonna be a rough transition. I really want the job because I'm bored with what I've been doing and have wanted to put my degree to good use. I actually specialized in databases in my degree but I don't remember shit :o

7. CompiledMonkey

So, just remember it's entry level. Speaking from experience, we only look for the desire to learn from potential entry level people. Show major interest day in and day out and you'll do great. Soak up everything you can. Enjoy the experience.