Opto-Mechanical Mice any good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xadious, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Xadious

Xadious =======

Or should i stick to Optical mice? Do Opto-mechanical ones run into the problem mechanical ones run into? As in becoming sluggish hence requiring a clean inside, etc?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they use similar technology to optical, but instead of using a sensor that reads movement on the desk surface, they use a ball, and the optical sensor reads when the ball moves. These hybrid devices can work on surfaces (such as glass) where traditional optical mice are not effective. Unfortunatly, they still have the "feel" of a mechanical mouse and the rollers can still gunk up.

Unless you cannot use a traditional optical/laser mouse, I would recommend you stay away from these.

3. Xadious

Xadious =======

thanks. that was the main thing i was wondering about, whether the rollers gunk up. I'll stick to optical ones.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Based on my experience with trackballs, any time there's a ball involved, dirt will collect on the things the ball rotates against.

If you need a mouse that can work on smooth surfaces, get one that uses a laser instead of an LED. Laser mice use something called interferometry to measure irregularities in the tabletop that LED mice can't possibly detect.