options for public computers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, Aug 29, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I wanted to get some ideas for a computer thats available to multiple people here at work. The issue im having is that multiple people use this one computer and it gets extremely jacked up after 2 months or so to the point I have to reimage the computer. I wanted to get some tips or ideas as to how to nip this in the but.

I have already put restriction on their internet browsing. I was thinkng about editing the privleges so that they couldnt install anything but I wanted to do something like everytime they restart or shut down anything they downloaded or changed gets set back to factory.

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

You can turn off USB ports. Deny any software installation. Filter web content via keywords from the router.

Or just install linux

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

are you familiar with using virtualization products?

virtual box is the easiest to use, and you will be able to manage gold images of the public instances quite easily. not sure how you can keep people off the windows host and force them to stay within the vm though.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We use this program called Deep Freeze, upon reboot it rolls back to an image. Very cool ... no matter how jacked they get it goes back on reboot. If you load all the stuff they will need you will have to unlock the PC every few weeks and do updates and that's about it. We don't even do that ...

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I came in here to post this... it works VERY well. I have a friend that uses it at a coffee shop he owns, and it works flawlessly. A couple of the computers have been going for years with continuous use, and they have never been reloaded.

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah deep freeze sounds good

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I was just going to come say something about steady state.

I use it at work for a computer where there's a bunch of people who don't have the best sense when it comes to computer usage, they log off then it rolls back to where it was when I set it up.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Can't you just hit them every time they do something stupid? I mean, they ARE employees, tell their bosses if telling them doesn't get the job done.