Options for notebook security

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Nov 7, 2005.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I have a new notebook and now need to secure it. I will be using it in public places on public networks. Will irewall software suffice? Has anyone used MCAFEE PERSONAL FIREWALL PLUS 7 2006 ? Any thoughts on this product? I'd like something that wont kill the resources.

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I use Avast antivirus, and just the XP firewall as backup since I'm behind a hardware firewall. Avast has been very good to me and free. It got better virus recognition ratings in a 31 product comparo than AVG which everyone here seems to blindly recommend. I wish I still had the link to the test :( I had McAfee 8.0 on my Win2k system and it completly FUBAR'd the RPC system in the computer. I will never use another McAfee product.

I used Sygate Personal on my Windows 2000 computer and it worked great as well (free). I had Zone Alarm 4.0 before that and it was a bit of a PITA to configure the advanced settings. Once you understood where to go for what it was okay... but it wasn't friendly to the new user. I can't comment on newer verisions.

I personally try to stay away from the ALL-IN-ONE products as they get their fingers into everything in the system.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

since it is a laptop and by its nature portable, you should encrypt the entire disk.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

For god's sake stay away from Mcafee. I swear they haven't had a product worth shit since the DOS days. I personally use Trend Micro, but Sygate and Zone Alarm are also decent choices.

5. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

thumbprint scanner, file encryption, zonealarm/windows firewall, avg, passworded account, soul of a virgin...

6. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

I like BlackIce. :dunno:

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Better hope the thief doesn't like Gummy-bears :rofl:

8. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Mmm... Gummi...