Optimum Question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Phishy4, May 9, 2006.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Hey guys. I just ordered a PC 7424, pads and polish last night. I was going to go with Poorboys SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 for medium and light cut, but decided to go with Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish because I've heard of people mixing them to various degrees to achieve different levels of abrasiveness. What I'm wondering is what I should initially start with on my '05 Audi A4 (hard clear I'm assuming)? I've got some pretty minor swirls with a few scuffs I'd like to work out. Its a very dark metallic green as well if that helps. I was thinking of just seeing what the OP with a white LC pad would do initially and maybe do a 50/50 mix OC and OP on a white LC for rough spots. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. picus

picus New Member

Well it definitely won't hurt to try the less abrasive combo first, so OP and a white pad. Personally I don't know if that it will do the trink since Audi clear is very hard, but it might. If that doesn't do it I'd try OP on an orange, then OC on an orange if the OP isn't cutting it. Remember, Opt polishes take some time to break down, so work slowly and let them do their thing. Don't get discouraged.

3. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

OC on an Orange pad barley touched my VW clear. Gonna try OHP and see if I have any beter luck

4. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Did you use a mix or just straight OC? The hyper compound is just a little more aggressive than regular OC right? I wonder if I should have gone with SSR 2.5 instead of OC.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Audi paint? I'd be tempted to start with a die grinder!

You can try OP first but you are probably going to have to get more aggressive. I had a really tough Audi last week, took Clearkote Compound with a burgandy Meguiars cutting pad followed by Optimum's Hyper Compound and a yellow LC cutting pad to make a real dent in the rotary and halo swirls--those two steps alone took about 2.5 hours!

6. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Holy shit. I did wind up getting a yellow LC pad too, so looks like I'm gonna have to start a little rougher than I thought. Maybe I'll just start with the Orange LC w/OC and see if it even does anything. Would you recommend picking up some OHC too Scott? BTW, I've seen alot of your work on Autopia, your a bad ass man.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

OHC is probably going to be necessary at some point with Audi paint.