Optimum Polish

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by perry, May 10, 2005.

1. perry

perry burp

Anyone used the Optimum polish? DACP has been frustrating me recently and I'm lookin to try something else. Look at the Optimum and Mother's Power Polish. Can't find the Power Polish locally, so I figure if I'm going to order something online I'll try a boutique product...

Opinions on their spray wax would be great too! :x:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

[​IMG]

The polish is awesome! About as aggressive as Poorboy's SSR2.5 but no dusting to speak of and it finishes down as well as #80 does, ie deep and wet. You can vary its aggressiveness like with #80 as well by the pad you use. The advantage it has over #80 is it starts off stronger and you can work it longer, so it is more effective in removing heavy spider swirling.

I used Optimum Polish with a burgandy (cutting) Meguiars pad on this Audi TT and got absolutely no marring, even in direct sun. The combo really did a number on the swirls on this car and Audi has really hard paint. I then stepped down to a yellow (polishing) Meguiar's pad and Optimum Polish, then topped with #16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also like the Optimum Car Wax, although I am not sure I'd use it as a stand alone LSP, although their website claims 5 months durability...under optimum conditions, of course. Real world? A few months, I'd guess. I like to use it as a booster wax in between regular wax jobs. Sean (GRStilzes on Autopia) says he has used OCW to spit shine paste waxes. I haven't tried that yet but it sounds promising.

3. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

good job Scott, looks nice

4. perry

perry burp

Cool deal. I have the Optimum Polish on the way but decided to pass on the wax for now. The polish sounds good for simple people like me, hope it works well for me too :)

5. perry

perry burp

:love: Awesome stuff. Used it on mom's car today with a green Sonus pad. Did not dust no me at all. I think I was using too much though because the pad seemed to get filled w/ polish right in the middle. I'd make a "X" across the pad, spread around on speed 3, then bump it up to 5.

Seemed like I could work it forever. Wiped right off with ease too. DACP would always cause me troubles -- gumming up, dusting up, hard to remove, whatever. Optimum seems much more forgiving of my stupidity. Left a nice wet finish too. Should look great when I put the LSP on.

6. Scottwax

Told ya! Really excellent product! I start off at 5 and bump it up to 6 though.

7. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Wherever you start, just get to 6 asap.

8. Scottwax

:werd: Seems like you can work it on 6 as long as you want and it finishes as deep and wet as #80. Really cool product!

9. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Definetely great stuff, seems to be replacing my #80 every week! Scott, give the SW a shot, you'd be suprised at slickness, especially the second day. I dont know why, but the next day its even slicker!

10. perry

perry burp

[​IMG]

Not sure what that shows since the driver's side of the hood has the new DP Surface Shield topped w/ Signature, and the pax side just has the surface shield.. but it was polished with Optimum :)

I've never felt comfortable w/ the PC on 6.. seems to vibrate around too much for me with my flexibl 5" backing plate. And I have the 7336 that has the 6" counterweight :hs:

11. Scottwax

Patrick-SW?

Perry-try applying a bit more pressure when polishing, enough to bog the motor and then let up just enough so it runs at full speed again. That does cut down on the vibration. If the are basically just using the weight of the machine and using your hand to guide it, the vibration is higher. In addition, remove the handle and hold the head of the PC. That helps too and makes it easier to control the PC.

12. perry

perry burp

When I first got the PC last August, I got shitty LC pads that ripped when I even looked at em. Irene at TOL and the LC rep @ Autopia told me I was using too much pressure so I've just been using the weight of the PC. Then LC comes out a couple months later and admits that their pads were junk. :rant: And I haven't changed my ways cuz I'm afraid of ripping my nice Sonus pads.

13. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

SW=Spray Wax Scott......

14. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I had the cookie cutting issue too, but switched to the curved which I like better. The backing is totally different and I haven't had any issues with them since :bigthumb:

15. Scottwax

Are you talking about Optimum's Car Wax? I have some, really good stuff too. I have it over NXT Paste x 2 and #16 x 2 on my own car. :)

16. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Yessir, love that stuff !