GUN Optics on an AK74 *Pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Daiz4yota, May 23, 2007.

1. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

I ordered a 3-9x scope, and a side rail from copesdist a week ago. I got them 2 days ago, and installed them both. At first, it seemed like it would be fairly sturdy. After taking it out to the range, I quickly realized: a) that it is too bulky/heavy for this sized rifle, and b) that in combination with the side mount, it is fairly unstable. Even when in the locked position and properly installed on the side rails, there is significant scope wobble.
    [​IMG]

I am going to go ahead and return the set to copesdist tomorrow. As I will be shooting at 100 yards 99% of the time, I am now on the market for something much smaller, lighter, and more stable. I am leaning towards a reciever cover with a picatinny rail, and a red dot scope. Do they only make red dot scopes in 1x? It seems that is all I can find. So far, I have found these red dot scopes. Let me know if you think one is better than the other for any reason.

[​IMG]
    http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productlist.php?typeId=1
    with either the low mount or high mount (not sure which would be more appropriate on my AK 74, but im assuming that the closer the scope is to the barrel, the better)

NEW GEN Golden Image Quick Aim Electronic Dot Sight with Red/Green Dual Illumination and Integral Mounting Deck - Complete with Flip-open Lens Cover
    SCP-RD40RGW 30mm RED/GREEN DOT $49.95
    [​IMG]

and lastly, top right scope
    [​IMG]
    http://www.copesdist.com/scopes.htm

I am also trying to find a good scope rail. It seems since these reddot scopes are probably fairly light and compact, a receiver cover rail would work fine. Does anyone know how well these work? I don't want to have to sight in the scope after every time I remove the receiver cover. Also, what the hell are the two screws at the back of the receiver cover for?
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Even with a red dot site at 100 yards, you will probably cut your groups in half. Red dots are great.

And honestly, I wouldn't bother with the receiver cover scope mounts. They are usually shitty and will wobble around. I think I might order an Ultimak soon just to throw a Kobra on it.

I don't know a whole lot about the red dot sights but I think most of them won't have any problem holding up to repeated shots with your 74.

3. Daiz4yota

What other options do I have? I cant find any side rails that arent huge, heavy, and wobbly. Does anyone know where I can find quality side rails, or any other method of attaching the reddot besides the receiver cover?

4. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Years ago I saw someone (I think it may have been Bushmaster) selling a front -handguard scope mount, made for use with low-power and red-dot scopes. Looked functional and very cool.

Don't think I've seen it since though.

5. soccaian

soccaian New Member

those two screws at the back of the reciever cover are probably for securing the cover and stabilizing it

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Check out Ultimak, everyone who has one loves it.

7. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

here is my red dot... it made me shoot MUCH better groups, at 25yards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Daiz4yota

all of the ulitmak rails are gas tube forward. Im looking for one that is farther back, preferably.

[​IMG]

9. Daiz4yota

I like the red dot, but I hate the rail. Its the same one copesdist sent me, and its a little too large for my liking :dunno:

10. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

yeah, it is a bit tall. but options arent exactly plentiful unless you spend $$$$

someone has a new rail that replaces the rear sight and bolts on to the tang... think it might be krebs. cant remember.

11. Daiz4yota

that would be pretty awesome

12. Daiz4yota

is this it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Daiz4yota

fuck...it just says coming soon

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

thats it... looks pretty slick. i thought they were supposed to be out by now.

15. Daiz4yota

16. Daiz4yota

looks like Ill have to go with a reciever rail huh

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

DPH arms had those a month or so ago. They are copies of the Polish Beryl and supposedly work great. I'm not seeing them on their site now.

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

19. Daiz4yota

Thanks man. It looks sturdy, but this guy claims to have probs :dunno:

OK - I have some actual firing data for everyone...

Conditions: Tantal '74, DPH rail installed (WITH the site leaf spring in place... Scot, you want to TELL people that). Tantal has standard folding stock - unit secured in rear with longer machine screw (Scot - consider sending these with the unit). Known good 2-6X scope (previosly tested). Solid Tight rings. Warm day (68F), no wind.

First piece of news. The front iron site is useless with this unit. Sorry guys - you simply can not screw it out far enough to do anything at all. If the very front of the unit was groved down the center? You would have a chance. So - no rail mounted rear unit of ANY type will accomplish anything at all... you would need both a front & rear piece.

Second item... and I must add a qualification: This is ONE GUN - your results may vary. While I could adjust height & widage of the scope to center at 100 yards? The unit was not stable on this rifle. Drift, scatter - shots no better than in the black on an NRA 100 yard target, aproximately equal to what one would see with an AK Dust Cover mount. Same gun & ammo (type & lot) will print & hold 8-9 ring with iron sites. Remember - I had tested that scope & ring set... it's fine.

Possible causes: I'm not sure about the "hold" of the unit front portion in the RSB under fire. Yes, the SPRING from the old site was in place - but I would be tempted to place a set screw here so that the front end could not bounce under any conditions. OAL of the unit on this particular rifle caused some "cant" of the rear machine screw... rifle to rifle variation of the RSB - RT distance could increase or decrease this issue, placing varying degrees of stress on the rail.

Again - this is just ONE rifle... please, post your results. I've removed my rail, but yours may function flawlessly on YOUR rifle. Please let us know....

20. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

21. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

22. Daiz4yota

yea thats the same one I am returning...donotwant :mamoru:

23. Daiz4yota

24. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

actualy it`s not.yours sits up alot higher than mine
    [​IMG]

25. Daiz4yota

yea I just noticed that. Does yours move at all even after you have it clamped down? The one im returning moved significantly