GUN Optic suggestion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Apr 4, 2007.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm ordering a Rem 700 in either .30-06 or .308 (haven't decided yet). My family was asking what I wanted for my birthday, and I'm going to tell them an optic for the rifle, but don't know what to get.

The rifle is going to be used for elk hunting this fall, and the price needs to stay around 500 give or take some.

thanks

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

zeiss conquest

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

:werd: For a hunting scope Zeiss has some great Conquest models under $500.

If you think you'll eventually want to use it for some long range target / precision shooting then you might want to look at something with parallax adjusment (the Conquests with PA are way over $500). Sightron SII and Nikon Monarch product lines both have some great options with side parallax adjustment in the $350-$450 range.

I just bought an SII 3.5-10x44mm w/side PA and Mildot. The main reason I chose it over the Nikon was because the Nikon only has 40 MOA of internal elevation, whereas the Sightron has 80.

Remember to budget for rings and mounts.

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

adjustable parallax on a scope intended for hunting is unneeded and does nothing but slow you down and add useless weight.

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

If you are going hunting go with a .30-06. It has more energy with slightly less velocity. Much better for hunting large game. Not to mention the ammunition is more readily available. :)

Which 700 model are you getting?

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

less velocity? since when? The .308 lacks the powder capacity to equal the .30-06 though the new .30TC apparently can.

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm gonna get a 700 SPS and have a few things done to it, as money permits.

I'm torn on the cartridge, because as far as I can tell the '06 and .308 are two very similar rounds, that don't differ except 800 yards plus, and each just have their fan boys. :dunno:

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

.30-06 will have more flexibility if you're hand loading and .30-06 surplus is waaay more available right now. New manufacture ammo is nearly identically priced and the calibers pretty much mirror each other in terms of bullet & loaded cartridge options. In Michigan at least .30-06 is king in terms of a hunting round, followed closely by .30-30, at least for deer. I tell people I have a .308 and they're like, "oh, ok". My boss is convinced that .308 is a varmint cartridge.

All that being said... the rifle I just bought is a .308. I wanted a short action, and there seems to be generally more availability of info on .308 with regard to target shooting which is my main interest.

9. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Get what you want, there's no serious performance difference, the only real difference is the .308 is a short action and therefore offers a lighter rifle.