Optiarc DVD RW Drive Not working. Help? Please?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bojangles6, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

I bought my sister the new Sims 3 game as she has been a fan of those games for a very long time and she was highly anticipating the third one. Well, I bought it for her opening day but I can't get it installed for her. It's disappointing as hell. I put it on her laptop but you know how most of those are when it comes to gaming. So, I need this installed on her desktop. The desktop is practically new and greatly exceeds all the minimum requirements, I just can't get it installed due to the DVD RW drive simply not picking anything up.

The drive has been used very rarely, so it should work. I know it worked not too long ago at all as she installed her Sims 2 games and I had personally put a new audio CD in it. Everything worked fine. However, I have heard bad things was this drive. Such as, you can install certain programs and drivers that will basically fuck the drive up and make it not recognize anything. When you put something in the drive the cursor will show a spinning CD beside of it and everything. However, when it doesn't load up anything and you go to click on the drive in My Computer it says there's no disk.

I've googled some stuff and did just about everything I found to try and correct the problem. There were no LowerFilter keys in registry nor were there any UpperFilter keys in reg. I've uninstalled some programs, I've tried hot fixes, etc... Still nothing. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the drive via device manager but it still won't work. It reinstalled with no errors, etc... I've also updated the firmware. I heard that a format can sometimes fix the problem, but I really don't want to do that. I can if I have to, though. Well, it wouldn't even read the windows disk, actually.

I just need to figure out how to fix this. If anyone could help me or if you have any suggestions I would certainly appreciate it.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

don't even bother
    optical drives are pretty much disposable
    either they work, or they don't
    just get a $20+ lite-on or something

3. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

Man, that fucking figures. :wtc: