MIL OPSEC questions/answers thread v.getyourassinhere :squint:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Although I have been both active duty and reserve, my service was several years ago. What are the current rules for OPSEC with regard to those deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan?

We all know that you guys are warned to watch what you are saying both in person and online. When I was active duty, the security threats were more personal, and generally involved word of mouth within the general geographic area I happened to be in. Nowadays - and especially with you folks reading this thread - the threat is global and has absolutely no physical limitations with regard to distance from the source of the OPSEC leak (i.e. YOU).

So lets talk about OPSEC. What are the current rules for those on deployments? What are the consequences for breaking OPSEC? Does anyone have any current/past examples of anyone getting in trouble for OPSEC related stuff?

Post up, bitches. :squint:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. Accord

Accord New Member

Well, the first rule of OPSEC is you do not talk about OPSEC.

Lame joke..... I know :rofl:

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

While you're not exactly refering to the Navy, it still applies and I'm going to answer :fawk: Before deployment we can only tell close family exactly when we're pulling out. I just tell everyone else that I'm "leaving soon." When we're out at sea, or in port for that matter, don't mention the next port that is scheduled either :nono:

Basic OPSEC I suppose. Don't let the jihad'ers know where the 1,000ft long grey target stocked with 6,000 Americans will be at a certain time.

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

When I was in the main OPSEC issues we were warned about were giving details about equipment capabilities and giving troop strenght numbers. Deployment dates and locations are not as big a concern IMO, you would be suprised at the press releases the DOD will publish listing these. Deployment dates are rarely set in stone, and anyone trying to gather that intelligence can easily obtain it from the local community around the base. It's kind of hard to hide the fact that a unit is deploying, especially large ones. You can go around a base like Fort Hood and you will see local businesses with signs wishing them luck weeks before they actually deploy.

When I deployed to Kosovo we were basically told not to say what our mission was and a few other little things. We could tell people what base we were going to but couldn't give information on the forward observation posts that we were running.

5. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

That's pretty much on point. However, they don't like you to tell dates of deployments regardless of what PA does or what the local community knows.

6. evan2

evan2 Guest

its pretty much common sense really... dont talk about flight info, i also try to pick a good date a loved one will know like 10 days after my bday ill be home
    though i think you can say when you arrrive in the states as long as you dont say im leaving iraq at this time from this place

7. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

As a soldier currently in Iraq its a big issue for me. Pretty much I can't call home and talk to them after some heavy stuffs gone down. I can't tell people when I'm going on a convoy. I had to take my blog down as people can fit small pieces of nonsense together into a larger picture and it can be used as a weapon against us. I cannot speak to Iraqis (alot of whom speak surprisingly good english) about any military subject matter. So yeah, basically use common sense. Don't tell anyone any information you wouldn't tell the enemy and you're pretty much good to go.

8. ViperKiller

ViperKiller AD USAF

OPSEC is pretty much common sense :dunno:

Then again, you know how the saying goes....If sense was common, then everyone would have it.