opinions overall on 96-99 A4?!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 02CivicsiR, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Any and every rant is encouraged. :)

2. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Oh, be sure to include ownership experiences or if you've known owners on issues of reliability, driving in the winter, performance and whatever else.

3. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

and, post preferences on the 1.8 and the 2.8 and why.

4. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

i've got a '99.5, its a beauty. these were mae before the german reliability really hit the fan, so theyre pretty decent. Mine is the 2.8 V6 quattro in standard. ive had some problems with it, the regulator switches inside the steering column (for the head lights and the cruise control... different cases) had burnt out or gotten coated with lubricant, so they had to be pulled and clean. i drive it in winter too, the quattro is the BEST! some bearing problems i had on the rear wheels were cheap and easy to fix at the shop. otherwise... get snow tyres for winter.

this car, like virus said, is really easy to mod, if a bit expensive for parts. theres some, not much, room in the engine compartment if youre thinking of adding anythign special, and its all fairly easy to work with. i have some pics too, but my server seems to be wacking out, so i cant post thm. maybe later.

5. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

If you're going to get something between those years definately get a 99.5 because they updated a lot of stuff for the 2000 model year but they started on the 99.5 (minus DBW).

1.8 is lighter and much more tuneable, also small so it spools up fairly fast (not much lag). Chip it and same HP as the 2.8. The 2.8 is simply a good overall engine. Doesn't have nearly the same TB problems as the 1.8. TB should be changed at 4 years/60k miles regardless of what the manual/Audi recommends. Search audiworld.com and you can come up with a ton of info.

Also get the Sport Package. Non sport sux!

Also an error with Audi's stats: A4 1.8's hold 3.7 qrts, not 4.2 as published.

Main problems with A4's:
    Control Arms
    Wheel Bearings (me too :( )
    Timing Belt
    H20 Pump (should change with TB as it can cause TB to break)
    synchros

Can't think of much else right now.

Cheap to fix on your own, NOT cheap if you take it to dealer or have a TB break.

oh yeah, :bowdown: Quattro. It isn't the most complicated, but it works great and is VERY reliable.

6. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Are you from MN?

7. wnut

wnut Guest

can't believe no one mentioned coilpacks yet. this seems to plague the MY99.5-01 if you do mod the best platform is the AEB 1.8t. the new dbw stuff is still being worked out with some actually converting it to n-dbw and OBD-1 (for easier tuning)

8. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Sure am. :wiggle:

Actually the coilpacks didn't affect any of the 99.5 and previous years. Some 00's, lots of 01's and 02's.

9. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

didnt seem to have an issue with it.

10. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Yeah, im from minneapolis. The problem is im not sure i can afford a 99. So the main things to be on top of is the water pump, timing belt and control arms? Also, ( I know this will probably be difficult) but including the oil changes how much money in maintenance would you suggest to set aside per year?

11. wnut

wnut Guest

oops...i can't read. i thought he wanted problems in general. not just...96-99 =)

12. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Yeah, timing belt (along with H20 pump and I forgot to say thermostat), control arms - this car has a lot of them!. Basic stuff is not much at all...oil (synthetic recommended) and use an oem filter as they are some of the best you can buy, change the plugs every year if you get a 1.8 and especially if you chip it or upgrade turbo, and remounting and rebalancing winter tires (you wouldn't believe how much quattro cars kick ass in the snow with dedicated winter rubber!).

Oh I forgot to mention earlier, if you go with the 2.8 you should aim for a 98 or 99 as that has the 30 valve which has much more power than the old 96-97 12 valve. Oh I keep remembering things....1.8T's from 97's have trouble with their wastegate actuation rods (at least I think that is the problem) which causes VERY premature turbo failure. Like I said before these model years don't have problems with their coil packs, but they do have problems with their ignition amplifier (at least I think that is the problem - I know what I am referring to really, just not 100% sure on the exact names).

Also the 1.8 has a low oil capacity but it rarely burns oil, the 2.8 30v takes a "regular" amount of oil but also likes to eat a little sometimes requiring an addition quart be added, but not really a big deal, just the nature of that engine.

Hmm, sport package is a must unless you love MAD wheel gap and crappy handling. The auto is fairly reliable and the manual is notchy and has no synchros in 1st or reverse. Also, the 5 speed doesn't like cold weather, so it doesn't like to go into 2nd when really cold. But they are geared pretty low and you can start in 2nd or do a 1-3 shift when really cold. They also rev pretty high for highway cruising (mid 3k's @ 75) so if you're not used to that it sometimes takes a while to get used to. Hmm, don't think I can think of anything else at the moment.

13. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

After speaking to a few mechanics, Ive been strongly advised to steer clear of audi's largely due to their reliablity. Apparently they are less reliable than BMW and Mercedes? What does everyone here say about that?

14. F1fan

F1fan Guest

I have had 2 E36 BMW's with no real problems (currently a 2000 328i)and my brother has a 2000 A4 and a 2002 A4 with no problems. I also have a Porsche so all my cars go to an independent shop that specializes in European imports. I have been wanting to get a new daily driver for myself and was talking to my mechanic that I was looking at an A4 or another 328. His take was that he hates BMW's and they are much less reliable than the Audi's. I think if you talk to other mechanics you will find other answers.

My mechanic does say that the new Mercedes and Audi's have many more problems than the new BMW's. However I was talking mid to late 90's with him.

The most important thing is to find a car that has been maintained properly. Being in Minn., I would be leaning towards an A4 with Quattro. If doing mods is a possibility then get the 1.8t.

15. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Hmm, I definately wouldn't say they are unreliable. I have had my car now for over a year and have only had 2 problems. Gas tank (which I don't know what happened but they replaced it under warranty) and a vac hose which cost me like $40 to have replaced at an independent shop. No other problems to speak of.

edit* and wheel bearing - replaced under warranty

16. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

you got your wheel bearing replaced under warranty? what year is your car?

17. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

My car was out of warranty, but I got a short warranty from the place I bought it from and I had it replaced within the 60 days of my warranty.