GUN Opinions or experiences with the Sig P239 vs. Walther P99?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JBowers24, Sep 16, 2002.

1. JBowers24

JBowers24 Guest

I've narrowed it down to those two. Just wanted to get opnions or experiences from people that have or use either.

2. JC

JC New Member

I love my walther...but never fired a sig

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i've never fired the Walther myself, but i've heard mixed reports on them. Many seem to be flawless in function and then many seem to have various reliability issues that seem to plague S&W polymer frame guns. (S&W has provided parts for and assembled the Walther P99 .40 and some of the P99 9mm)

Heard nothing but good about the German assembled 9mm's. i really like the ergonomics of the P99, the thing just melts into your hand. On the downside, it's big for a 10rd magazine.

The P239 is sort of in a smaller class, IMO, we're comparing a full size (though on the smaller end of it) duty gun to a compact carry gun. They don't fit my hand like their larger brothers do, so i don't really care for the P2xx series, but that's just personal preference, i've found them to be as accurate and reliable as a SIG.

4. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

If it is those two, get the Walther P99. You have a double stack mag and there are high caps out there. The Walther is more comfortable to carry and shoot. I would take a Sig 229 over the P99 though.

5. JBowers24

JBowers24 Guest

I realize they aren't really in the same class, as far as sizing goes and that the p229 is more a direct competitor with the P99. I like the compactness of the p239, the sig quality, its downside is obviously capacity. I like the feel and what I've heard about the P99 from a friend (cop) who has one, as well as the 16 round capacity availability.

I want something that I can depend on when it counts, concealable if necessary, and won't break the bank.

6. KW

KW Guest

As far as reliability I would pick the Sig over the Walther. The one Walther I've played with broke and quit firing. I've read quite a few tales of similar problems as well. Sig's are utterly reliable. As long as you stick with factory mags you will quite possibly never see a failure with one of their guns. My P228 is absolutely 100% reliable.

Magazine-wise the Walther has only a small advantage on the 239, unless you are willing to drop about $80 a piece on those hi-cap mags for it.

I really don't like the trigger on the Walther ... I've always felt the Sig triggers to be much smoother. But that's really a matter of personal preference. You should definitly rent both and shoot them back to back. The Sig 228 and 229 are more directly comparable to the P99, and have hi-cap mags available as well. But as you said they are not as compact as the 239.

If you really like the single stack feel and compactness, the 239 is definitly going to be the gun for you. If you want the higher mag capacity, you should compare the P99 to the Sig 228 and 229 and shoot them back to back ... then decide if the price difference is worth it.