opinions on which head unit to get

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by boibleu22, May 5, 2005.

1. boibleu22

boibleu22 Active Member

allright guys i need help choosing a cd player for the tC.
    so far the options are:
    Panasonic CQ-C9901U
    SONY MEX-5DI
    Pioneer DEH-P9600MP
    Sony XPLOD CDX-M9900
    CLARION DXZ855MP
    Alpine CDA 9855

personally i think im gonna go with the Alpine, but i was just wanted to see if anyone had any advice

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

the 9855 is a great deck, but i hate the glidetouch

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

///Alpine

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

definately not sony

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Alpine or Panasonic, both are pretty nice solid decks, and will work just fine. Go with what looks better to you.

6. AirWaveGT

AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

eclipse

7. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i'd get the 9600

8. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

im still trying to get used to it

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've had two panasonics, one no longer has a working radio (but aux and cd work great) and one has no problems.

Alpine has been 100% solid for me.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I have had a Clarion head unit with messed up preouts, and it was suposed to be their top model, when they were still considerd one of the best in the business. There is bound to be a few defected ones, sometimes you just get hit with the shit-stick. I trust panasonic.

11. denim

denim New Member

Eclipse

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no

13. veonake

Nice response.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i thought Eclipse was good :dunno:

15. veonake

It is, his cd mechanism stopped working so Eclipse now is a terrible brand. A couple other guys also apparently have had issues with the cd mechanism, but the sound quality is nearly unsurpassed. I haven't had any reliability issues myself, and no brand is going to make a 100% reliable unit. Bottom line, Eclipse is a top brand, no question, but might be less reliable than Alpine. The Eclipse CD8053 is a legendary head unit.

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hmm, what makes a head unit have good sound quality, like the biggest factor? If I were to run a line driver would pre out quality be a concern?

My knowledge lacks in the technical department so please excuse my stupidity.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, radio sucks, so if you're gonna judge SQ, you're gonna be using a CD... And if the cd mechansim sucks -- and there are a LOT of people with this problem -- then i guess you're gonna have a problem :mamoru:

18. veonake

What, why would you run a line driver? I'm confused what you are asking.

19. veonake

:mamoru: You're quite the comedian.

My radio reception is great, and who listens to the radio anyways? I sure don't. Who gives a damn about radio quality either? It's shitty from the beginning.

Find me some solid proof with statistics of the number of people with cd mechanism problems and then compare that with the other major manufacturers and then I'll care. For now, it's one guy with a bad experience who has no blacklisted a good brand. It's getting pretty rediculous. What is a "lot" anyways? That's an entirely too ambiguous term. 1%? 5%? What is it? I don't want guesses here, that's useless. I could say 0.0001% have problems and be no less accurate than you saying "a LOT" with no proof.

So, can we please see some empirical evidence instead of one man's bad luck, and until that point stop bashing a brand that doesn't deserve such blacklisting? You are pointing unaware consumers in the wrong direction with such unrestrained opinion.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

me saying eclipse sucks is no different than you hating sony. Sony may not be the best, but in all the head units I've owned, sony has been far more reliable than the two eclipse units I tried.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

raised pre-amp signal, high voltage

22. veonake

I don't hate Sony. I think they are overpriced (true) and their car audio line isn't high sound quality, and I don't like the way they look. It is basically universally accepted that Eclipse is high sound quality and Sony is low sound quality. Yes, Sony is certainly known for good reliability in electronics in general, I don't know about their car audio record in that respect. So no, you saying that is not the same as my opinion on Sony. My opinions are based on research as well as personal experience. Your opinions are firstly based on personal experience, and then minimal research. I'm a scientific guy, you gotta give me more than "mine failed, so they all suck".

23. veonake

Ok, that's what I thought, but why would you run a line-driver if the preouts on an Eclipse deck are already 5volts or 8volts depending on the model? I forgot to address you other question about what makes a head unit have high sound quality. The problem with that question is it is basically a two part question and more complex than you may think. The first part is what makes a DAC high quality, and the second is what makes an amplifier (or, preamp) high quality. Eclipse has a great DAC, which contributes greatly to the sound quality. As for what makes a good DAC and a good Amp, that is a very complex question with a variety of factors, and I am no expert. www.tnt-audio.com has a good DAC article I think. I would do your own research on amplifier design. It can be a controversial subject though.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then agree with this statement:

Most people buy a limited number of head units... They are not stores, and they don't care about the "big-picture". If a "signifigant" portion (I use signifigant as something more than insignifigant, or to be more specific to this issue, to be widely and explicitly known within the industry of headunit repair) of the public has problems with decks, regardless of the potential of a working deck, the deck is not a good choice based on the increased likelyhood of receiving a non-working deck.

Alpine is well-regarding in the industry, and without the shotty mechanics of the eclipse... Why not just go with that?

25. veonake

I can agree with that statement, but you still haven't given any statistics of failures of Eclipse units vs. Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Blaupunkt, Clarion, etc. So, the statement may not apply to Eclipse. Of course, there are always warranties. Eclipse has a great one.

I see nothing wrong with going with Alpine, and I don't think I ever said anything negative about the company. I would certainly buy an Alpine and nearly did, last year's 9833. Alpine is a solid, well-performing brand. In fact, did you not notice the first post I made in this thread said exactly this: "///Alpine"?