GUN opinions on vltor products? Might be doing a build.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thomor25, May 29, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

vltor upper rec with deflector and forward asst and casv-el vltor forearm 16" chrome lined all black with front grip.

will look like this but all black and with flip sights possible and my burris red dot.

[​IMG]

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Friend of mine has alot of VLOTR crap on his AR, pretty good quality, I prefer magpul stocks over the vlotr's though.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It doesn't sound there is any reason to spend the extra money for a vltor upper for the gun you're building. Just use a regular quality upper and put that cash to something else.

4. thomor25

if you actually look at their prices they are around the same as rra uppers if you get forearms that are the same size.

5. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Haven't seen much of the AR stuff, but fondled some M14 stuff and handled their 40mm revolver and it was built like a tank.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You need to shop around some more then, the vltor mur stripped upper costs about 2x as much as a cmt/stag stripped upper. Its only a difference of about $100, but when you want to resell stuff on ar15 and then wonder why you're not getting what you want I figure its worth pointing out.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The Vltor uppers are nice, but unnecessary. They are heavier than a normal upper, noticeably so. They are also noticeably more expensive. We just built 10 new uppers with them, but I still would not spend the extra money if it were my own to spend.

I'm not too up on the Vltor rail system, but the big downside I see is the same as the first ARMS SIR models. It raises the height of the top rail. When you do this, you often cause yourself to have to use a less comfortable or secure cheek weld to see through the raised optics, if you're using optics. Even with a reduced height mount, optics are usually still too high. The mount will also sometimes preclude you from cowitnessing your sights through the optic because the raised rail height puts the mount into your sight picture.

I do really like the Vltor buttstock, but it's too damned expensive. I'll probably use a Magpul CTR on my new rifle, since the need for batteries in the stock is not so great as people once thought. I also really like the Vltor gas block. It is very short, almost as short as the KAC gas block. I'm using one on my 11.5" upper.

8. thomor25

pics of your builds?