GUN Opinions on this gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by m3s3lf, Jun 3, 2005.

1. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Merely tossing around the idea of getting a gun for protection. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this:
    [​IMG]
    LINK
    Billy

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Blah Blah Blah..

I have a XD-40 and I love it, dead accurate, reliable and a great gun

3. Ant

Ant Serious Business.

xd's are great guns, it would be a fine choice.

4. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I love my glock, love my usp more, but you're gonna have people complain about anything you select. If it fits your hands well, and it gets you to the range to keep up on practice, to get better with it, go with what you want.

The people I've known that have them all love them, it's all personal preference.

Personally, I don't care for them, but who gives a crap what we think, you're the one spending the money.

5. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Can't go wrong with XD's. There are lots of company's the make good guns, it's just what you want and what fits you best. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Springfield, Glock, Sig, HK, or many of the other big companies. CZ, Rugers to a point, S&W....... Not too many bad guns out there.

6. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

i've noticed that about OT's gun people. why not band together as people who exercise the right to bear arms and not troll about different brands of guns?

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Friend has an XD and loves the thing. Carries it with him everywhere.

8. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

nice gun, afforable.

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

You mean it was reliable both times you took it to the range :noes:

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Because some guns, like the XD, are sub par rust buckets

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

:wtf: are you talking about :rolleyes:

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

God the stupidity/fanboy base around this forum sometimes is amazing (and scary).
    Just about any brand of gun is going to work for you. Every gun is also going to have a few that have problems, just the nature of mass manufacturing. Pick a gun that fits your hand, shoots where you aim it, and feels comfortable while shooting and you can afford both in cost of pistol, and cost of ammo.

As for the XD, it's been proven to be just as dependable, accurate and durable as the Glocks, the USPs, the major brands of 1911's, the SIGs, the Berettas, Rugers, CZs, etc, etc. All these guns work great and I wouldn't hesitate carrying one to protect my life with (and I have carried every one of these except the USP within the 24 years I've owned guns). Now to be blunt and probably piss off the mall ninjas here but anyone stating that one is worse than the other has no freaking clue about firearms. I own both a 4" Service in .40 and a 3" Sub Compact among my collection and they both have become my primary CCW weapons now due to their ergonomics and ease of use.

As for rust. The XD uses a parkerized finish just like many other major brands use. You take care of it as you would with those guns (i.e. you wipe it down once in awhile with an oiled rag or even better, spray it with a dry silicone spray) I have carried my Sub on my hip up against skin every day now and the only rusting I have seen is not from the metal itself rusting, but gunk in the grooves rusting instead which just wipes off. Interestingly enough, my old 1911 had more rust from carrying than my XD does.

Also since you are looking at the sweet Bi Tone model, you don't have to worry as much. Just wipe it clean once in awhile and enjoy it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  13. Boots

Boots huuuuuuuuge vagina

nice looking gun!

14. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

We are all banded together in support of the 2nd ammendment.
    We just enjoy a little good natured teasing...thats all.

Not that it matters, you porbably own a Glock. ;)

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Opinion is favorable. Great buy. Find it for less than $450 and you're good to go.

16. oakie

oakie my ninja.

because some people here just turned 21 and are brand whores.

they're also the same type you'll see still living at home, driving a riced out economy car, and shopping at Abercrombie.

17. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I just bought a subcompact one and I think it is a great value for the price.
    I am still trying to find a good holster for the short blocky barrel/slide. Right now I am using a 4" holster which defeats the purpose of the short barrel.

18. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

One thing I have noticed is that the one gun brand everyone can seem to agree on is Sig. I have a 226 .40, bought it used, it is dead accurate and I haven't had a single jam, fail to fire, or other problem.

If you want something smaller than the full sized 226, you could go for the 229, which is the compact version. I believe Sig makes some sub-compacts too.

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

go to www.pistol-gear.com and check their selection. I carry my SC in a Hume 715 IWB or Tucker Answer but the Blade Techs are also a favorite in the XD crowd.

20. bagged

bagged monsta truck

how can you compare reliability of a gun thats been around so short to firearms that have been in production/use for 20+ years.

the xd has not "proven" itself to be anything
    not saying its a bad unit just sayin its relatively new

21. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

I have one. Love it :bigthumb:
    Friend has one, too. Bought it and sold his glock to his grandfather.

22. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

XD's have been on the market for over 10 years. They were called the HS2000.

They are decent guns, some (not all) of which suffer from a slightly weak finish. SA will take these back under warranty and recoat them. Not a bad deal.

I don't particularly care for them, but if you like it, buy it. They just don't excite me very much.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

As been stated just above, they have been in use in European militaries, along side the Glock, for awhile as the HS2000. True that they don't have the Glock's tennifer treatment, but when maintained as a parkerized finish, they do just as well as other parkerized weapons. (i.e. you clean them once in awhile, they last)
    The XD was also run though the Glock 1000 round torture test just for the hell of it by one of the guys at Handgunner magazine (who happens to admit he was a Glock boy before the test. He is also a member now of the XD forums). To top it off, the torture test didn't even start til after 17,000 rounds were shot in a nonstop shooting test. Not only did the XD pass with NO problems, the test gun is now sitting on his nightstand. All it proved was that the XD is on par with the Glock.

For someone to claim that the XD is inferior (or superior) to other main brand weapons is an indication that that person is a moron and should step back from the real weapons and go back to playing airsoft.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  24. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i have had my hs2000 for about 4 years nopw and i have no sign of rust, and it definately has a shit load of holster wear. I don't have a problem with it, lots of my friends have an xd and no problems. I prefer my steyr m40 over the hs2000, but i also prefer my sig 226 9mm over that, and then my sig 226 .40 over the nine. If it fits your hand comfortably and you are shooting reliably with it, i say buy the damn thing don't let people on OT sway you from your choice of firearm.