MIL Opinions on the US Military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shortbusrider, Nov 5, 2004.

1. I'm just curious what the overall opinion is of people on here about the United States Military.

Where I live, the yellow magnetic ribbons are very common (Support Our Troops, Pray for Our Troops, etc.) How much support do the troops have is where my curiousity lies.

I can understand not supporting the government and the decisions it makes. But in history, as many have lived and I have only studied, the Vietnam Era was a time when veteran's where looked down upon and spit upon. Many are calling this "another Vietnam." Obviously open to many interpretations.

Please. Ramble with me.

2. vonoventwin

vonoventwin New Member

I'm in the Air Force at Robins AFB, GA. and this community doesn't exist without the base and military so we see support all the time!

3. joedelt

joedelt MSU > *.*

its a very intersting topic. i have family in the military and i'm guessing most people know somone in the military. to this day, i dont understand what happened with vietnam vets. the majority were drafted, it wasnt their decision to go, they were doing what their nation asked/told them to do.

i suspect lthat there is a comon level of passive level of support for our troups, and the familial support from friends/family of soldiers.

*thinking may add more later*

4. Hello to yah,

currently enlisted on DEP with the Marines. I ship out 2005 after graduating High School.

5. Yeah, the drafting was something that I coudl see happen now. Sure the candidates say "Oh, it won't happen -- all volunteer." But I was talking to Vietnam Vet today, he said he sat just like all of us did in a school being told they would never be drafted. It can happen, and it disturbs me that neither candidate will state the truth. If you pry deeper, the Army is spread so thin that if another conflict were to happen, we would have to draft. We currently don't have the manpower to cover another conflict.

Now that is scary.

6. armond

armond New Member

If they were to put the draft into effect, I am headed straight for my local Air Force Recruiter. I went in before, but was medically discharged due to a rare case of subcutaneous emphysema. But I am allowed to rejoin now that 2 years has passed, pending of course a doctor's exam.

I never lived during the Vietnam Era, so I cannot even see how people could look upon the US military at that time as a negative thing, considering that a lot of them were drafted. I see them as real heroes who fulfilled a duty to their country as required.

Relating the events of the past to now? I can see it has similar aspects. But I also see something different now, after the 9/11 attacks, people seem more behind the troops than ever before. I live in Copperas Cove, Texas, not but 10 mins from Ft. Hood(if you are military you know what that means). I support the troops 100% mostly because they are having to deal with something that 75% of this country will not even get to see.

I also support them because my pops is a retired soldier from the Army. I joined the military initially because I wanted to prove myself. My father did his duty, not because he was drafted, but because he went in voluntarily. He is not a Vietnam Vet, but he was still military. I cannot see myself ever disrespecting the US military. They have to go through so much more when in a time of war than most anyone else ever does...

7. joedelt

joedelt MSU > *.*

see the draft thing is such BS. the draft cannot be reinstated without a series of hoops being jumped though. no one person can reinstate it. lets not forget that it was charlie rangle (D) from New York who introduced legislation to reinstate the draft.

the difference between then and now, is the draft was in place back then. it just had to be activated. now you hav to pass it via congress and whitehouse before you get pack to the situation pre viet nam.

8. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

the lessons learned from vietnam was that it was pointless to blame the soldiers from something they couldn't control.

That won't happen again but being against the war is not being against the soldiers. I don't the troops they feel that consider that a good number of them probably wish they weren't there either.

9. AlextheDroog

yep and congress and the whitehouse are all republican...

alot can happen in 4 years...

10. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

What they need to do is convert the rest of those so called "army, sailors, navy, airforce" into Marines.

Marines = Self Sustain. Now just specialized them.

United States will own all! :)

Plus we do everything with 1/10 of the budget! think of all the taxes we saved for the civilians

11. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

more than that the draft is obsolete now. What does a draft produce? Mass, unspecialized infantry, more or less, and that is not what our military is based on. I dont think there will be a draft simply because large scale infantry warfare as seen in vietnam and previous wars is not the way this war, or furture wars, will be fought.

12. AlextheDroog

this is just a shot in the dark....i could be wrong..but..i THINK your a marine right??:mamoru:

overtly trying to conquer countries will only cause more problems than they solve...

13. mbh819

mbh819 New Member

After something like 9/11 happens no matter if you are for or against the military it seems most people will support the troops doing their job. We were attacked and we need people to be brave and volunteer to defend us. You may not like President Bush or the war in Iraq but I see many people that put their support in the troops. Unlike Vietnam Vets I don't see the troops getting disrespected, but more of the administration that tells the troops what to do.

Only way I really see a draft being reinstated is if something real large happens. But it doesn't seem too likely to happen. Also I don't see the branches of the military ever being combined. I'm not saying maybe things could not be run better if they were organized differently, but the people in power of each branch would never let it happen. It was hard enough for the Air Force to become its own separate branch.

14. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

The US military is just a political tool to do the bidding of its leaders so they can make a profit. Most people join up to escape their hardships (come from the ghetto, etc...) or for adventure. "Serving your country" is really a transparent, ambigious term that's really overused. If you want to serve your country, go run for public office, or organize a housing project, or voulenteer in your community. Standing around with your M16 and sitting in some shithole either in the US or on the other side of the world is not serving your country. Earnestly hoping for a chance to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to pop yourself a dirty towelhead and tell all your buddies is also not serving your country. And I'm not going to throw out a huge paragraph of how no offense is intended and how I respect America's servicemen and women, because that's a given for most people on this forum, we just need some more varied views on the topic.

15. Zee

Zee New Member

:rofl: @ Political Tool.......

More like Policy tool :big grin:

16. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

What about a WW2 vet? The Russians literaly did most of the work. WW2 was just another power grab by the US. If you haven't noticed, they emmerged a superpower after WW2. It didn't happen by accident. And there's no reason to hold a US soldier who fought in Vietnam or Korea in lower esteem than one who fought in WW2.

17. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

WW2 wasnt a power grab by the US, it was a power grab by germany, italy, japan, and to an extent the soviets.

18. Davisty69

Davisty69 Guest

You point out how charlie rangle, a Democrat, was the one to propose the draft in legislation as if that meant that it is the Democrats that are pushing for a draft. If you know anything about the Rangle situation, he said specifically that he proposed it for the sole purpose of pointing out the possibility of a draft by Bush and Co. He also said that he would be voting against his own bill. He didn't propose it to try and reinstate the draft, he did it to bring the possibility of the draft being reinstated to light.

19. shankems2000

shankems2000 If you read everybody's user text and location, yo

The military is spread thin. We have troops EVERYFUCKINGWHERE. The gov't should take troops that are stationed in old hot spots that aren't needed there anymore and bring them back home, if anything happens you can throw em back on a carrier or a plane and have em back over there in no time flat. But for the time being they're just sitting there, waiting and some are actually hoping, for something to happen.

I wonder how many battle ready troops there are in the continental U.S. It would be ironic if some country just invaded out of the blue, and has every troop in every country but here, scramble to get here and fight off the threat.

As far as the draft ,Bush has contradicted himself many times over, and if push comes to shove....well let's just say I've been practicing my mortar dodging skills and you should too.

20. armond

armond New Member

I thihnk perhaps that you have something going for you there, but I am quite sure there are plenty of military vets and current service members who would be quite insulted by some of what you said. I know that the military is an escape from the ghetto and a poor living standard(as is evident of the increase in gang activity in the military) but then there are examples of people who joined to serve the US.

21. So are you accusing everyone in the military of escaping hardships? And that "Holding an M-16 does nothing."

Well, as always I entitle everyone to an opinion, and that includes me. With all respect, I find your reply to portray the typical opinion of those whom have no appreciation for what has been sacrificed and is being sacrificed for this country. You just threw some bullshit into this little window, perhaps it is a true opinion, maybe your a veggie-sandwich toting yuppie pascifist who denies war to be a fact of every government protecting itself and thriving as a society.

Not all recruits join in order to escape their alcoholic fathers, poor families, or other bullshit. I know people from fine backgrounds, a business owner for example. Twenty three years old, partnership in a franchise. Left his business AT WILL to serve the United States.

The only people who will ever complain or degrade their country's military are those who have not got on the bus, who have not been there, who have not experienced it. This is only my opinion.

22. ethyl

ethyl R-CH2-CH3

I see plenty of the yellow ribbons where I live... whether it's on windows, trees, or cars.

However, it seems many people have conflicting support of the military. If you ask some hardcore liberals if they support the troops they'll say "absolutely, we just don't support the reasons behind the war." You follow up your question and ask their opinion about polls saying 3 out of 4 soldiers are Republican... and they'll turn around and rant about how the majority of soldiers are brainwashed and ignorant.

23. Davisty69

Davisty69 Guest

They say that a majority of the soldiers are brainwashed and ignorant huh? Of course this is are extreme terms but the truth is that most soldiers are ignorant. What percentage of soldiers have a college degree. I'm sure it is a low percentage. A large number of the enlisted men have this mentality that killing others in the name of their country is cool and something to be strived for. They don't realize or even attempt to think about the fact that almost all of the soldiers that they are trying to kill are just pawns on the board for their country and that they are, overall, the same as they are only with a different birthplace.
    Here are the education statistics for enlisted men as of Dec. 31st 1998
    NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED

2.17%
    HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE OR GED

67.94%
    ALTERNATE EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIAL

0.83%
    1-4 YEARS COLLEGE (NO DEGREE)

24.70%
    BACCALAUREATE DEGREE

3.16%
    ADVANCED DEGREE

0.33%
    UNKNOWN

0.87%
    As you can see, only 24.7% of enlisted men in the military have obtained their bccalaureate degree.

24. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

You're mistaken, 3.16% have obtained their degree. That doesn't mean that most of them aren't smart. Many people cannot afford to go to college and use the military as a path to college. Others may have personal reasons, such as supporting a family, that prevent them from attending school. Some realize that they might not adapt well to college and would rather learn a trade. To say that they aren't smart, just because they didn't attend college is a pretty uneducated statement. Maybe you should spend some more time with people in the military.

25. More&Faster

More&Faster New Member

you're right. a college education does not make a person smart. ive been in college for four years and i can tell you there are plenty of people graduating with degrees that are no "smarter" than the average high school graduate. and being "smart" implies an awareness and understanding of whats going on around you.

anyways, now that i got that out of the way, i have to say i agree with the people who say enlisted soldiers are ignorant and brainwashed. theyre told from the very beginning that what they are doing and what their organization has always done, is right. its reinforced by their superiors and peers. its a certain necessity for a fighting force to be effective. its just a fact of life. all large armies are brainwashed to a certain degree. it just wouldnt work any other way.