GUN Opinions on the Trijicon Reflex II sight please

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Seems like a well priced decent alternative. Thoughts? Need an optic eventually for a 10.5'' AR. I'll be using it for practical rifle matches, speed steel and killing small animals. I like the T-1 and the other aimpoints but I would like something that doesn't add a whole lot of weight.

It comes in a Chevron, Triangle, and dot. I'm thinking Chevron would be best, but I don't have a whole lot of experience optics other then red dots and eotechs.

I just want something that will hold up well in the elements, and be able to take some abuse. I'm open to your suggestions.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Have you looked at the weight on the T1? :big grin: Its like 3 or 4 ounces, the rubber bikini cover is more than 10% of the weight of the entire unit I think.

I would like to try trijicons reflex sight too but the aimpoint t1/h1 is really light.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Looks like I worded the post poorly. I've played with a T-1 before, I liked it a lot. I like that the Reflex is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and I don't need nightvision. Guess I should look into the H-1 then...Looks like it's pretty much the same, but no NV and can't drop to the bottom of the ocean and expect it to still work, no biggie.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Heh oh in that case fair enough, they are expensive. Have you seen their newer reflex?

[​IMG]

Its 11 oz but is 42mm...

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Turns out I can't read. Looks like all the older Reflexs are cheap. The newer ones are just about as much as a T-1. Might as well get the T-1, it's smaller and lighter.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

just get the T1. you will not be disappointed.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A close buddy had one of the older Triji reflexs on a carbine...... I/we thought it sucked. Couldn't see it for shit outside in even somewhat bright light.

No idea on the newer ones, but the H-1 looks tits to me. I wanna try one out on several things I'm doing.

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Smartgunner one ebay has T-1 with Larue Tactical mounts for $590 and then you have the 30% cash back deal going on. Can not beat that.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I like the 42mm reflex. considering replacing the cmore just because I want something with no batteries and I want a relex type sight (don't care for tube dot sights.)

I didn't like the old style reflex sight because it would wash out if you shot from shade into bright light. the new reflex doesn't seem to do that or so they say. At least I have not been able to do it at the shot show.

I agree the T1 is sexy looking but I don't really see the point of such a small tube. Real small field of view and you got to use a really tall mount to get it up high enough to line up with a proper cheek weld. Why not get a full size tube sight like a M3 or M4? Bigger field of view.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Have you ever ran one/seen one ran on a pistol?

Curiosity of mine. Don't know if it would be viable, or a concession compared to the Doctor/JPoint/Cmore.

I've always wanted an open class type pistol, cause I don't have any experience with one and they look fun. The Cmore seems to be standard, but the high bore axis seems so counter-intuitive to me. Haven't had a chance to bum some rounds through other guys' guns, and I need to get on that to get a feel for whats up. I think a CZ Champion shooting 9mm major would be kinda neat.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Never seen a trijicon reflex on a pistol, It would sit high over bore just like a cmore. the 42mm reflex which is the better one is really really big. Same size as as the big eotech like the 512

As far as the champion making 9 major. first good luck finding one. They are really hard to get. Second the slide stop pin breaks. Even angus is not running the champion for 9 major. His champion runs minor and he uses it for steel matches. He does have some open guns built on the TS frame that supposably can be shot major. Never seen it myself though although I've handled but not fired the guns.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I was referring to the Aimpoint Micro. I've only seen pics of them on wheel guns, and that Sig 220 from SHOT.

I actually know of a guy somewhat locally that has one sitting around. He priced it to me well under $1k, which is quite the snag. I've heard of the slide stop thing (it's supposedly inherent to all CZ's), but never experienced it myself. The SA P9's back in the day use a similar setup, and they were running like 180-190PF without issues (at least from some guys I've spoken too). That Venry guy (Radical Precision on BENOS) supposedly had a trick one of a similar paradigm, but sold it. He told me that he could make me a good Ti comp, and a mount for a Cmore/Doctor if I went through with the project. I could get 29 in a big stick, with modified factory mags.

Probably should just skip the bullshit, and send you a check to get an open Glock, right!?

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My experience so far with the t1 is that the tube almost vanishes with both eyes open and I wonder if the smaller tube blocking less of your sight than the larger models doesn't help it vanish a bit more, at least at the cost of needing a somewhat more accurate weld.

The size complaint I have so far is how it performs across multiple lighting conditions. If you try to turn the brightness up a bit (say one notch higher than what you think is right for a dark room so its bright enough to show up on a brightly lit object/room) it seems to be prone to producing red rings around the edges of the glass if you're off center. Its probably rare that this comes up but I bet its easier to avoid on the bigger models. Its nothing super offensive but I don't think it should need quite the exact the brightness setting and weld as it does to avoid this for as hyped as is it.

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure the aimpoint is the sight for me but at 3.0 oz just for the sight versus 9.3oz on the m4...its a tough sell for the bigger glass when the size of this unit seems to help it vanish and avoiding the battery tube at 1 o'clock.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The T1 would be pretty interesting on a pistol. sis not care for them on a AR because you needed such a tall mount (where you could use a bigger tube in the same space). In a pistol the small tube would let you mount closer to bore.

There are some sexy pictures of a MC 9open tribrid from the millenium customs site.

[​IMG]

Me personally I still prefer a doctor, but can't argue the sexyness of the T1.

I have not experienced the red ring on the T1. Would not think it would be so much a problem on a rifle because you have a cheek weld, but maybe a issue on pistol. With a dot sight with a pistol part of the advantage is it does not matter if you have the sights centered. Where you see the dot is where you place the shot. I cheat all the times shooting around baricades or weak handed. Sometimes the dot is near the edge of the lens, but I see enough to call the shot.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

[​IMG]

Looks the same size as an eotech. I really like that there's no battery and it's auto adjusting for light. I think I may buy one...if I don't like it I'll flip it and go for a T-1/H-1 setup.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Does that person like theirs with the weapon light? What I've noticed on the tr21, which has the same kind of light collection system it looks like, is that in a small dark room with a weapon light you'll get a bright hot spot from the flash light on the target but not enough spashback off the ceiling to really make the reticle pop. Enough to really matter and is it important anyway? I don't know...

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well the reflex has a huge figer optic window, bigger than the TR21. Good question, I would think it would really pop if there was any backsplash from the weapon light.

The TR21 has the ability to close the cover on the fiberoptic window. Adjust the cover until you find something you like with the light or lack of lighting situation.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah I guess that probably is bigger on that one I hadn't considered that, I'll be interested to hear how it works. Most of the backsplash on my light seems to be coming more straight off the wall and less off the ceiling into the tr21's fiber making the lighting pretty unbalanced. A light that floods a little more might be worth looking into though for me...

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Here's from another thread:

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Cool, can't wait to see your review :big grin: