GUN Opinions on the SU-16

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KIDRR, Nov 25, 2005.

1. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Obviously what I really want is an AR-15 but alas, I live in kaliforniastan and can't get one without a shitty internal 10rd mag. I figure the SU-16 is the next best thing, then again I could have figured wrong...what do you guys think? :noes:

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I've heard some good things :dunno:

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I think it was Shackle who bought one and posted a review.

I haven't heard anything bad about them.

4. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I havent heard any bad things about them either. They are supposed to be pretty good little guns

5. KIDRR

Ok thanks, I like that it can fold up and accepts M16 mags

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yeah they sound like a fun gun.. I'm fitting to get a Sub2000 myself (the 9mm kel-tec folder)

7. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Speaking of Shackle, where has he been?

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

He's around

9. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

Look up the vulcan arms lower receiver. It's an AR receiver with a 10 round mag pinned in place. It takes all AR parts including uppers, trigger groups, stocks, etc. The good thing is that if the SB23 law is overturned or you move or shoot out of state, you can remove the pin and it becomes a normal AR receiver that can take any AR mags.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you have one? I'm not real familiar with newer vulcan products but back when they were Hesse most of there products were steaming piles of shit, I've seen carbon ar15 lower from them that looked nice and and price was cheap but everyone over at ar15.com has negative things to say about them. Just wondering if you got any positive reviews on there stuff. Cause besides the carbon lower, there Galil knockoff has kinda caught my eye :o

11. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I used to think the SU-16 was a good alternative for people stuck in non-AR permitted states. Mine has run fine for about 800 rounds that I have put through it.

BUT...

We have had a few in classes recently and they haven't made it through the first day. I would recommend something else over an SU-16 just from the reliability and durability standpoints.

If you are in a ban state and you want a fighting rifle your best bet is probably an M1a or SOCOM 16. A distant third choice would be the Mini-14.

12. KIDRR

Sounds complicated :dunno:

13. KIDRR

I love both the M1a and the SOCOM, my buddy has the M1a and I have shot it quite a few times...the thing is great. The only thing is that it is about 2X the price of the SU16 and I like the fact the SU16 can take the M16 mags.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its not really, I believe it got a fixed magazine held in place with pin through the mag well. too load it you just pop the rear pin on the lower flip upper up and stick rounds in the mag. Big upside is you can swap uppers around, you can have 16" m4gery upper, 20 or 24" target upper and do whatever typical ar15 addons you want.

15. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

I don't have one... yet. Everywhere is sold out and I'm on the waiting list. Vulcan isn't known for the best quality, but it's only a lower and the mag is replaceable. If you go to ar15.com under hometown California, there are a lot of people happy with their Vulcan lowers. Vulcan > FAG-10. Most people replace the sh!t vulcan mag with a 10 round Bushmaster one. Bushmaster just came out with a FAG-10-like lower but no removable mag if you move or shoot out of state.