Opinions on the Nissan Altima Hybrid?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Mar 13, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No it doesn't have a 4g63 in it, and yes it's FWD. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued by the idea of a comfy 4-door car with 200hp (40 of it available at ZERO rpm, no less!) that gets 680 miles to a tank. Anybody here own one? Is it worth the $25k they want for it?

2. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

i can't speak on the hybrid, but my wife has an 06 altima (4cyl) and we like it a lot. Its comfortable, drives nice, and we havent had a single problem in about 50k miles. If we were to do it again, we probably would have opted for the larger engine (i think a 6cyl is available). The 4cyl is a little anemic at times.

With that said, after having owned a subaru we would probably have opted for a base model legacy ($20k ish, n/a version) instead of the altima. She bought the altima about a year before i bought my subaru and we didnt think of subaru at the time. She thought the WRXs were ugly so therefore the whole subaru line up was out.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

although if you are looking at a hybrid you are probably thinking about gas mileage...in which subaru wouldn't be ideal.

4. deusexaethera

The hybrid has about 25hp more than the base I4 engine. Obviously that's not a lot, but because of the way electric motors work, all 40hp that the motor provides are available as soon as you hit the gas, unlike with a gas-only engine. I should probably test drive both cars to see how much of a difference that makes in the real world.

5. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

We dont notice the lack of pickup so much in city driving (where the electric motor would be used), but its hard/impossible to pass people on the highway without the tranny downshifting. Granted, i havent owned an automatic transmission in years so it could just be that i'm not used to a car downshifting on the highway (my car passes people fine in 6th).

But yeah, test drives ftw.

6. deusexaethera

Downshifting doesn't really bother me, unless it introduces a lot of lag -- which a VW transmission in Sport mode does a good job of avoiding.

Does your Altima have the CVT transmission?

7. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

nope, its the base model. Although i dont know if the CVT was available for the 2006 model year.

8. deusexaethera

I think it wasn't; my friend bought one last summer and if I recall, he said it was the first year that had the CVT. I also remember he used to hate the idea of a CVT, because he liked the feeling of shifting gears. It seems he's warmed up to the idea of the engine staying at peak output continuously while the transmission handles accelerating the car.

Damn...I dunno, I really want an RX-8, but the Altima hybrid has multiple technologies in it that I think are cool, and it costs less, and it gets better gas mileage. It even has more torque than the RX-8. Gah...what a choice to have to make.

9. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Not sure if I'd go for a hybrid yet, but the altima is a good car...It has a nice interior with a lot of room, a gargantuan trunk, nice array of options, and it's pretty sporty. Even the new QR25 (non-hybrid) runs a high 15 in the quarter mile, which is pretty damn quick for a car that big with an N/A 4-cylinder. Also the CVT is badass. You will not be disappointed if you're used to driving an automatic...it definitely reacted way quicker than any auto I've ever driven.

The Altima uses toyota's hybrid technology and they're pretty on top of their game so I would imagine it wouldn't be a bad buy....just make sure to check out the accord and camry too (they look terrible, but they're both pretty good cars as well)

10. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

In a recent test done by consumer reports I believe the Altima hybrid got first place beating out the Camry/Accord hybrids.

11. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Most of those tests are bogus. It all depends on what the person likes. Each car has its advantage....I've driven the new camry and altima (and an '06 V6 6-speed accord) and i'd take the altima over all them in a second. It's definitely the sporty car of the group.

12. deusexaethera

Yeah, I heard the electric part comes from Toyota -- I assume that means it'll shut off the gas engine when the car is stopped and the batteries are charged, right?

I don't really have any use for a Camry or an Accord -- I do drive a Passat right now, but I really just need a commuter car with the ability to carry passengers and suitcases, not really a car that is built to do it on a regular basis.

Man, 35mpg in-city. That almost doubles the 18mpg I'm getting right now.

13. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

i am a skeptic on hybrids, but if you land a nice deal on one, do it. all the altimas are pretty nice, though.

14. DaMonsta

DaMonsta Turnin' whores to carivores, they can't leave my m OT Supporter

I see you're in VA, are the Hybrids even in VA yet?

15. deusexaethera

Technically no, but Jersey is close, and I can always order one. The service delays could be a problem, but by the time it needs service, there should be hybrid technicians in VA.

Hell, since it comes from the Prius, if I were really desperate I could take the thing to a Toyota dealer for parts.

16. deusexaethera

Damn, people online are saying the hybrid system is considerably rougher than it is in the Prius and the Camry, with noticeable jolts and changes in acceleration when the engine kicks in. That sucks.

I got to drive my friend's 3.5SE Altima Coupe over the weekend, though, and that was a great drive. I pegged the gas at about 50mph on an onramp, and the RPMS jumped to 6000 and stayed there all the way to 120mph or thereabouts -- smooth the whole way, almost to the point of making the car feel slower than it really was. (of course, the rate that I was passing other cars kept my speed pretty obvious.)

17. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Kindof a strange comparison between RX8 and Altima hybrid. If you drive in DC a lot, or in lots of traffic, any hybrid isnt a bad move (as evidenced by the sea of Prius's I see daily) but for highway trips, the RX8 does reasonably well. Cant you fold the seats down in the RX8? Hatchbacks FTW

Do you want a sports car with good gas mileage, or a big sedan with great mileage? Personally, I have been surprised at just how HUGE it is inside the altima. I drove an SE-R altima, and to be honest, I thought it was more fun to drive around town than a 350Z or G35c ... :ugh:

in hybrid form, im sure the funness is way way down though... Why not keep it VDUB and get a TDI? Get an extended warranty on it, and find a buddy who is adept at stealing CV boots from cars in parking garages :rofl:

18. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Your Passat only gets 18mpg?

Chalk up another one for why I hate VW's.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

mathematically un-possible.

20. art_VW_shark

yeah my passat hasn't been all that amazing on gas. for whatever reason for, just up untilkl recently, i'd been getting SHIT mileage around town, now it's starting to work its way back up but even the manufacturer's estimate at 19 for the v6, like 20 for the 1.8T is not too great. the highway mileage on the 1.8T isn't bad at all, though.

21. art_VW_shark

at 0rpm for the gas engine ;)

22. deusexaethera

Check your math. An electric motor, when fed a given wattage, will always output a fixed percentage of that wattage in power, regardless of RPM. Yes, that does mean the torque is (theoretically) infinite at 0rpm, but only for an instant before the spindle starts turning. (The torque isn't actually infinite if the motor is stalled though, because the wattage is dissipated as heat instead.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  23. deusexaethera

The 1.8t handles winter gas abominably. My gas mileage recently went up too, once we switched to summer gas.

24. deusexaethera

3500lb car -- 3750 with me and a full tank of gas in it. There's only one way to speed up all that weight over and over again, and that's to burn a lot of gas.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  25. deusexaethera

1. I considered a Prius, but I want a car that will let me vent frustration by liberating large quantities of potential energy from time to time.

2. I drive roughly half local roads, half highways, so it's a wash whether I get the MPG on the highway or in the city, so long as I'm not blowing hundreds on gas every month. I spend about $100/month right now, and I'd like to lower that, even if only a little.

3. No, you can't fold the rear seats in the RX-8. That's one of its more coupe-like features.

4. I don't want another VW. It was never the engine that gave me trouble, it was absolutely everything else. Hoses, fluids, axles, transmission, coilpacks, fuel lines...I want a car that I can drive for a while without wondering what my next expense is going to be, even if it makes up for increased reliability with decreased performance.

That said, the Altima Coupe V6 hauls ass. 270hp, no shift lag, no torque converter, peak power the entire time when you hit the gas hard. Gonna try the I4, though, see if I can live with that.