Opinions on the Motorola V551?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Mar 18, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Hi, looking to upgrade my phone and plan soon (AT&T Wireless, I guess now Cingular). The RAZR caught my eye, but is too far out of my budget for a cellphone, so I heard a good alternitive is the Motorola V551. I did some research, and apprently dropped calls and battery life are its' biggest concern. I'm now using a Nokia 3100, and I don't think I've ever had a dropped call; if so, maybe it was 1/100 calls. But my reception is very poor! Lastly, the battery was a little tank; stand-by time really held life well, and I'd recharge it weekly, bi-weekly at most. But I heard this Moto can't hold it's juice for more than a day?

Anyways, can someone also point me to some alternitives I can look at? I want a decent camera, but the power to customize (MP3 Playback, backgrounds, customization shit, etc) I guess is the thing I want most, next to really stong reception.

2. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

6230 is what you want if you're happy with your 3100. WAY more features than the 551, and the only real issue with them is that the email client thats provided doesn't work.

Camera is better than the 551, expandable memory(up to 1gig mmc), bluetooth, video, fm radio, speakerphone, IR, EDGE

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

...though the screen sucks on the 6230. supposedly the 6230i will have a much nicer screen. hopefully they'll make the interface look a little more polished too.

4. coronet

And how far away is the 6230i?

5. maczter

depends who you ask. i've seen anywhere from late march/early april to june. :dunno:

6. coronet

Well March and April work... but I don't know if I want another candy-bar sytle phone. And my last 2 nokias rang very quietly and vibrated gently... is this the same case with this phone?

7. maczter

the 6230 can be very loud if you want it to be loud. :)

since it plays MP3's, it has a very capable external speaker as well that actually sounds pretty darn good.