Opinions on Pontiac GTP?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 0wn3d_productivity, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I bought a new GTP in 1999 and sold it in 02 because I needed an AWD car. Lately, I'm, getting the urge to have one again- any opinions on how they are now that they have spome age on them, etc? I've looked for message boards dedicated to the GTP's, but they're few and not too great. A lot of posts about replacing window motors and shit like that- I'm used to that with my Formula.

Any opinions on picking up a GTP with 60-80K on it as a third car?

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

You are vastly better off getting a GTO instead, like many GTP owners have done.

3. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

I agree w/Trishield.

But, the GTPs are quite durable. Little shit might go wrong, and the interior is best viewed at night with the dome lights off, but fuel econ is good for it's size (~30 highway), and the 3800 is damn near bulletproof.

I bought an '01 new, and in '05 I added a '97. The '97 took it's first 1/4-mile pass with 142,000 on the clock, running a 14.6 with 3/4 tank of fuel.

Fit & finish is far from great (my Tempo is better, srsly), and yes, window motors and the like go out, but the powerplant is durable, the platform solid, and the car is quite safe in a crash as well. And thanks to GM's legendary resale value, they can be picked up quite cheap.

I wouldn't mind checking out a Comp G just for shits and giggles, though I didn't much like the restyled Grand Prix.

4. 0wn3d_productivity

Thanks guys- yeah, I know the GTO is the hot ticket, but I really miss my GTP. I liked the fuel mileage and automatic too. The other two cars I have on the road are both stick.

I don't really need a third car, but it would be neat to have a GTP again and there are some out there in great shape with <100K for 3-4K.

5. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Is the GTP the supercharged 6?

6. Virality

Virality New Member

Yeah.

7. deanh8

deanh8 New Member

Every look into their sister cars? Impala, Monte Carlo, Regal?

I love my GS!

8. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Why not a GXP with the LS4? :dunno:

9. 0wn3d_productivity

Yeah, the Regal GS is pretty badass. I wouldn't skip it if a nice one came along. I also like the Riviera for its' unique look.

I really don't like the look of the 04+ ones. I like the idea of them, just not the look. The manumatic is pretty neat, for sure.

10. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

The super 6's use almost as much petrol as the LS1's.

With the price LS1 GTO's go for, and the vast performance increase, i think it would be silly not to get one of those instead.

11. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Dean, you're on here too!?!

I'd second the Regal suggestion. I had one, and the main advantage is that generally older people own them so they aren't beat to crap versus the GTP and its 16 year old demographic.

12. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I never understood why anyone would ask for opinions on buying a car since you are inevitably going to get different opinions.

If you want one, buy one.

13. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

Cool lil cars. Of course, a GTO is much better, but they are twice as much.

GTP's can be rather cool dailys. Sure they have shitty interiors, but they are fwd, and can be driven every day, and do ok on mileage too. Can be pretty easy 13 second cars. Pick em up under 10k all day long.

14. 0wn3d_productivity

I regularly got 29 mpg on the highway with mine and I'm not known for being a slow driver. As far as getting a GTO/whatever, I already have a V8 car (three actually) and a turbo 4.

15. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Pretty good little rides, 100k is nothing on the L67. Have you thought of finding a supercharged Riviera? Much more comfortable and classier looking imo

16. 0wn3d_productivity

Yeah, if one came along, I'd consider it- they're really funky looking and cool.

I agree on the mileage with the L67. Not sure of the letter/number designation, but we've had several 3800 NA cars that have gone over 250K without being opened up at all. The cars fell apart around the engine/trans.

17. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

The transmission survived? Most 4L60-E's need a rebuild long before the 3800 engine dies. Most i have seen need rebuild at 250,000KM.

18. 0wn3d_productivity

Yeah, but these were in Buick Park Avenues, driven by some older family members who drove them very conservatively. I think one had a fuel pump go bad around 150K but other than that, nothing expensive went wrong.

19. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

I got a 04 gtp comp g... It's modded pretty well (headers, cat back, rockers, intake, yada yada) and it's been great to me. Low 13 sec four door car which can handle winters here in Canada no problem.

I would suggest gettin an 04+ as the interior is 10x better. Not saying it's anything amazing, but def. better than previous gen.

20. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

True, the interior is better, and the left headlight requires no tools to remove at the track, as opposed to the 2 10-mm hex bolts on the '97-'03 models. The "Comp G" package is a big plus as well.

Styling-wise, I prefer the '97-'03s though.

21. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

you over at clubgp?

i'm the opposite lol, i dislike the pre gen style but like the 04+.

22. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

I was a regular over there for a few years, but the mods went on a 'ban fest' a couple years ago over stupid shit, and I left.

ClubGP is still the best GP forum out there information-wise, but at the time, the ass-kissing rubbed me the wrong way. If it's any different, I might start posting again.

As for the styling debate, it's all a matter of taste. Personally, I feel the car sold here as the GTO should've been the new GP, with the actual GTO being an uplevel car comparable to Holden's HSV lineup. But that's just me...:wiggle:

23. 0wn3d_productivity

I also prefer the 97-03 style.

I was at clubgp.com and gtpworld (which was pretty shitty, as I remember). Are there any other GTP or GP specific forums? A google search turned up a lot less than I thought it would.

24. 0wn3d_productivity

Well, looked at one tonight and I'm gonna grab it up- 89K miles and 5 grand. Very well maintained vehicle with minimal mods.

So now I'll have (on the road) a V8 rear wheel drive, a turbo 4 AWD and a FWD S/C V6 .